Simply Stunning Planter Box

$30

It is so crazy to me how sometimes the most simple upgrade can change the look of a space so much.

This super simple planter box is exactly what my front porch needed.

Follow along with me for a simple one hour DIY and I will show you how I made my new planter box.

Materials

• 4 screw in 8” spindle legs
  • 4 angled top plates
  • 1 can of flex seal
  • outdoor varathane
  • stain of your choice
  • 2- 1x2” pine
  • 3/4” plywood

(in the picture I have a can of black spray paint that I didn’t end up using)

Cut list and tools

Tools

• brad nailer
  • table saw

cut list

• 3- 15”x15” pieces out of the 3/4” plywood
  • 2 -13.5”x15” pieces out of the 3/4” plywood
  • 10 - 15” long pieces out of the 1x2
  • 10 - 16.5” long pieces out of the 1x2
  • 4 -16.5” long pieces out of 1x2 long point to long point at 45 degree angles (these will be used to cap the top)

Assemble the box

I used my brad nailer with 1” long nails to assemble the planter. Start with all the 15”x 15” pieces, use one for the base and secure the other 2 to the base on opposite sides.

Next nail in the 13.5” pieces to complete the box.

*drill a few holes in the bottom of the box next. These holes will allow for drainage. When I did mine, I forgot to drill the holes at this step and had to do it after.

Seal the box

I decided to use flex seal to waterproof the plywood as best as possible. I sprayed the inside, as well as the outside with 3 light coats of flex seal.

Be sure to spray this in a very well ventilated area and use proper PPE. Allow it to dry throughly.

While you are waiting for the flex seal to dry, you can cut all the 1x2 strips for the outside of the box and stain these as well as the legs.

Add the detail

Use your brad nailed to secure the pieces on the outside of the box. I added the 15” top and bottom pieces first. Then I secured the bottom of the middle piece 7” and then spaced the other two In between at about 4.5”.

After you have the 15” pieces on, put on the 16.5” pieces on.

Add the top cap pieces

Air nail on the top trim pieces. (The ones that were cut at 45 degree angles)

Add the leg plates

Secure the leg plates onto the bottom of the planter box with the screws provided.

Screw in the legs

I used varathane outdoor gloss sealer. I applied 3 light coats over the entire box. Be sure to spray the legs as well as the bottom.

allow to dry throughly.

Stand back and admire your new planter box

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

I chose to put a fake plant in my planter box since I am horrible at keeping live plants or flowers alive. You can fill your planter box with whatever you chose.

I absolutely love projects like this. They are simple to do, don’t cost a lot of money and beautiful and add so much to an area.

Thanks for following along with me for this simple DIY. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Don’t forget to follow along with me on here (Hometalk) as well as Instagram.

cannot wait for the next DIY

xo

Amber

3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day

• Kristie

Why be so critical of the cost etc.? It was a DIY project that was enjoyed and she wanted to share.

• Pam

so what it cost $85? .....hey I have tomatoes I’ve grown that cost that much each after it’s all said and done !

• Christy

Where did you purchase your fake plant?

• Vikki Briggs

Any reason why this wouldn’t work wit metal hairpin legs for a more mid century modern look?