How to Paint a Front Door Like a Pro

$16

Do you realize that in just a few hours you can freshen the look of your home? It’s true, one simple change can boost your curb appeal! Learn How To Paint a Front Door in one afternoon without removing it from the hinges. If you follow these quick & easy DIY tips, you can have a new front door color by tomorrow! This is one of the cheapest ways to boost your curb appeal!

It may seem a little intimidating to paint a front door. It’s heavy and difficult to remove. But, there is not need to remove the door, just with a few simple tools and a quart of paint you can create instant curb appeal!

You can also use these techniques to paint any interior or exterior door.

Choose Paint Color

Your front door says a lot about your home, so a good first impression is a must! The best front door colors make an immediate impact, complementing your home’s style and improving curb appeal.

Not only is repainting your front door a new color a simple and inexpensive exterior project, but it can be done in just a few hours. 

Choosing the best color for your front door, doesn’t mean just slapping on your favorite color. You’ll want to consider other colors on the house and the style of your home as well.

Grab a color wheel, when considering colors for your front door. You can base your color scheme with a monochromatic (several shades of a single color), analogous (colors found side by side on the color wheel), contrast (three colors spaced evenly apart on the color wheel), and complementary (two hues opposite each other on the color wheel).

By using these color principles as a guide you will be able to select a front door color that compliments your home’s other exterior elements.

I grabbed my paint at Home Depot, I used Dragonfly by Behr for my front door.

Pro Tip: Paint a few samples on your front door. Look at the color at different times of the day and in different light. This will ensure you get a color you’re happy with.

Grab Your Supplies

You’ll need:

STEP 1: Prep the door

First remove all hardware. This is much easier than trying to mask off the door handles and peep hole. It will also make it easier to get a smooth final finish.

Second, clean the door thoroughly. Then, use a painter’s tool or a putty knife fill in any dents and fix other imperfections with putty. Let the putty fully dry.

Finally, lightly sand the surface to ensure a smooth final result. This will also help the paint to adhere well.

Thoroughly wipe the surface with a lint-free damp rag to remove any dust.

Step 2: Tape

Tape off any windows and the surrounding trim or edge of the door.

I was only painting the front of the door. The inside and side of the door were remaining charcoal.

Place a drop cloth on the ground.

Step 3: Paint the Front Door

Begin cutting in the recessed areas and around windows, if necessary. This is where it is real important to have a good quality brush. This will ensure that you will not have brush marks. We are big fans of Purdy brushes!

Paint the panels inside the receased areas next. 

If your door is smooth, you will want to paint the remainder of the door with a mini roller. My door is a textured fiberglass door, and I wanted to keep that texture, so I used my Purdy paint brush on the entire door.

Paint the rails (these are the horizontal cross pieces) working from the top down and painting horizontally, left to right.

Finally, paint the stiles last (the vertical parts of the door) from top to bottom.

Wait an hour or follow directions on paint can and apply a second coat for durability. Follow the same order as the first coat.

Sometimes a third coat of paint is necessary for good coverage, especially if painting light over a dark color.

Pro Tip: While paint is still wet remove the tape. This will ensure that it will not pull off your fresh paint.

Leave your door open for 2-3 hours for the paint to cure.

The Reveal

I love the way the blue now compliments the orange tones of the brick. It made such a huge difference.

To see the front porch styled for summer click  here.

The before and after photos are pretty dramatic. Before the door was lost in a sea of white. But now, the blue door really pops!

For more curb appeal ideas click  here.

Do you feel confident that you can paint a front door like a pro? It really is a fairly quick project with impressive results.

Thank you for spending a little time with us!

If you have questions or comments about how to paint a front door, please drop us a line in the comment section. We’d love to hear from you! 

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Sunny Side Design

• Barbara

What type of paint was used? Is it flat or semi-floss?

• Barbara

I have a metal door. Have paid 3 time different painters. Every time the door will peel. They sand and prime. What can I do? Going to try it my self. White and faces the south.

• Sunny Side Design

That's a tough one Barbara! I have had a south facing metal door before and not had these problems. I did a little research and what I have found is to make sure that a the primer is an exterior bonding primer. It will be more expensive, but well worth it! Sand off the old finish, prime with 2 coats, then paint 2 coats with a good quality exterior paint. Be sure that the temperature is not too hot on the day you prime and paint. I would also suggest that you prime one day, then paint the next. I hope this helps.

• Arianna

What’s the paint color you used?! 😍