Faux Leather Hanging Planters

$20

Hey friends, hope you are all keeping cool and enjoying your summer! I have been eyeing leather planters on Pinterest and I decided to once and for all give it a try myself! After studying the shape of a few planters I liked, I kind of created my own version, and they turned out nice! Check out how I made them.

Create Your Stencil

After picking up a yard of faux leather from the fabric store, I came home and put together a stencil. I needed to create a shape in which I'd have enough of the fabric to create a seam on the inside. This is what I came up with!

Trace It

Next, I cut out a piece of the leather, and traced my stencil using a light marker on the non leather side of the fabric.

It looked something like this!

Cut it!

Next, I cut the shape out.

It looked like this! I then cut out two more, to make a set of three.

Make a seam

The next thing I did was create a seam on the inside of the fabric. I am no professional sewer, and did it the crafty way- with a stapler!

The way I did it was, I turned the leather on it's front, and pinched together the outer sides of the fabric together, and stapled them shut!

Be careful to only staple the sides that are directly next to each other. If you accidentally staple the wrong sides together, no worries, they are easily removable.

Once each side is stapled to its neighbor, turn it right side out. It should look like this! Pretty cute, huh?

Hole punch!

Next, I needed to make two holes in each planter to attach the string that will hang them. I used a classic paper hole punch, and it worked perfectly.

Create Leather Strips

This next step was so easy, unforunately I forgot to take a photo. All I did was, using an X-acto knife, I cut long and thin strips of the leather to use as a string to hang them. I then strung them through each hole, and knotted them at the ends to keep them secure.

This is what they look like hanging, sans plants!

The End!

They look pretty cute hanging up.

I love that we now have a bit more greenery in our home!

25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?

• Ilene

Love this. I'm going to make some slightly larger ones to use in my office. I plan to hang them from the underside of a shelf above my desk.

• Betty Davies

Like your Shofar So Good plaque!