How to Update a Gold Mirror With Chalk Paint

$10

I found a dated gold mirror at a church sale not long ago and I knew that it would look fabulous with a coat of paint. It has gorgeous raised floral details, which will really stand out once it's been painted and distressed. If you love upcycled mirrors as much as I do, you may want to check out my frosted mirror project, as well.

Here's what you'll need:

• Mirror - Look for one with raised details. I paid just $7 for mine.
  • Painter's tape
  • Chalk Paint - I used Home Decor Texture Chalk in Dove Gray.
  •  Paint brush
  • Sanding sponge
  • Wax and wax brush - I used Dixie Belle Best Dang Wax in Clear
  • Cotton cloth

Step 1.

Give the mirror a quick cleaning. Next, attach painter's tape to the inside perimeter of the mirror.

Step 2.

Paint the gold mirror frame with chalk paint. Be sure to get into all of the nooks and crannies on the raised details. Let dry at least 30 minutes and apply a second coat.

Step 3.

Sand the raised details with a sanding sponge to expose some of the gold paint. This will really accentuate the floral details.

Step 4.

Apply wax with a wax brush and then buff with a cotton rag.

I really love how the mirror looks now! I hung it in my updated  front entry. I hope this post showed you how easy and fun it can be to update a gold mirror with chalk paint!

27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
Rebecca of Zucchini Sisters

• Ticia

It came out nice but I wonder why chalk paint. Wouldn't any paint have worked? I like the idea about highlighting the raised portion too - you could do it to match your decor. Nice job.

• Rebecca of Zucchini Sisters

Hi Ticia! Yes, you could definitely use latex or acrylic paint instead. I prefer to use chalk paint because it's easy to distress and I like the chalky texture. Thanks for the feedback!

• Michelle

I have this same framed mirror. I found the vintage frame with the flowers It too was gold I painted it with gloss white and put gold rub and buff on the flowers. Just a little bit and then put in mirror. Love it

• Kippi | Kippi At Home

Amazing mirror makeover