Asked on Aug 10, 2020

Need decorating advice!!!!!! Help?

Lindsay AratariKathy Gunter LawPatty
+8

I am a senior, remodeling my kitchen … doing the work myself. I need brightness in my kitchen, only one window, north exposure. I put ship lap on the walls, painted them cream. I took down all upper cabinets but one so I had more openness and counter working space. I painted the upper cabinet the same cream and the lower cabinets a very soft gray. Now I think the cream is too much of a contrast w/the beige and gray countertop. Do you think I should paint the upper cabinet the same gray as the lower cabinets? I hope this isn't too confusing!!!! But I obsess about such things! Originally I was going to paint the ship lap walls a beige, but I couldn't find a beige that didn't turn peach or pink in the kitchen due to lighting. LOL.

• Em

All of the colors you used are neutrals and are a fine mix. No need to obsess. You can now add a pop of color here and there and not muddle the color scheme. Add a bright vase or a cool picture on the wall a contrasting bright green container for wooden utensils.

• Taniya

You could have used same the same grey colour on you uper cabinet as well too much of different colour won’t make it look graceful as same light colour brings more grace and classic look if you want you can add one artificial green short plant in the corner of the shlef this will bring more grace to your kitchen👍🏻

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Can you post a photo? That would help so much! Grey and beige/cream have different undertones and can be challenging together. But a picture would let us know if that’s the issue.

way to go on all that diy!!!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

I always force myself to live with new paint colors for at least a month before choosing a new color and repainting anything. Sometimes it just takes some getting used to especially when its a big change :) I'm sure everyone here on the forum would love to see some pics of your newly painted space!

• Mogie

A picture would give us a better idea of what you are working with. Get some paint chips, take them home and tape them on your wall or cabinets. Check thru the day and evening and see if you like the colors and how they work together.

• Simple Nature Decor

I think the cabinet should all be the same color.

• Redcatcec

I would paint the lower cabinets a gray/blue blend. There is too much muddling of neutral colors.

• Deb K

Hello 1cs1267, I think it would be a great idea to paint the upper cupboards the same color, the contrast will provide a look of an ope airy kitchen, I would do a bright white instead of a cream for a real contrast, the bright white will really light up your space

• Patty

I like contrast on the same paint chip panel. So if you have light gray, go dark gray. I see them do this on Good Bones all the time.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Check Behr's Gobi Desert. It doesn't seem to have the pink undertone others do. I have one room in that color and it is more of a contrast than I expected.

As for the uppers, painting them gray will help them to stand out rather than blend in to the shiplap. Also, they will be easier to keep clean.

• Lindsay Aratari

Maybe paint them gray