DIY TV Stand From a Dresser

$50

I’m all about reusing stuff around my house. So I made this DIY TV stand from a dresser we already had.

When we moved, this dresser seemed like it would make a good makeshift entertainment center. I could still use the bottom drawers for clothes, the middle drawers for dvds, and the top drawers could become a shelf.

The first thing we did was take out the top drawers and make a shelf. We used 1/4″ plywood and had it cut at Home Depot in to 3 pieces to fit in the shelf.

Measure the inside of the dresser drawer, the width and length you want and then get the plywood cut to that length. Then we nailed it in to place.

I then painted the whole dresser white and the inside of the shelf grey. Then I spray painted the old drawer handles and reattached them.

I wanted something really unique for the top of the dresser.

I decided to use paint sticks for the top, because paint sticks are cheap and easy to stain.

The three different stains I use are Sunbleached, Vintage Aqua, and Weathered Grey by Varathane. These colors seemed to go well together and I liked the variation.

The paint sticks were stained and polyurethaned and cut into various lengths. Then I laid it all out on top of the media center and nailed them down.

What the dresser looked like when I bought it. Just a regular dresser.

These are the paint sticks I bought. They come in a pack.

Stain the paint sticks before cutting them! This make the staining process go much faster.

The finished media center!

15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Amy Lanham

• Ellen
    Ellen

I love the top! But, how about a straight-on photo of the dresser? Would love to see it straight on. Thanks!

• Amy Lanham
      Amy Lanham

I added one to the post, but you can always head to my blog to see the full tutorial, any videos I might have, and more pictures!

• Emmy
    Emmy

The top is beautiful, love the color combination. You say you used Weathered Grey but the picture looks more like an oak stain. Is that just the way the picture came out?

• Amy Lanham
      Amy Lanham

It’s probably just the way the picture came out. The picture with the paint sticks is more the color of the weathered grey. It is a very grey color, sun bleached also comes out pretty grey.

• Suzie 50
    Suzie 50

So pretty! I've been trying to find a way to cover the top of a dresser inexpesively and this is perfect. What a great finished project!

• Dawn
    Dawn

Beautiful work! Great inspiration ;)