Joint Compound Flower Pot Makeover

$25

I decided to make these sweet little pots to use as a centerpiece for Easter but since fall is right around the corner, these would also look perfect filled with fall colors 🍂 It’s a very easy project and one that you can even get the kids involved with.

A close view

Step 1 Gather Supplies

Gather supplies

You will need pots, any size and any type of material but I find that clay pots work best. The joint compound seems to adhere much better on the clay. You also need ready mix joint compound, adhesive spray or hot glue, paint, and any type of flowers, ribbons, twine, faux grass, etc... any embellishments to decorate your pots.

Step 2 Applying the joint compound

Applying the joint compound

Next, apply the joint compound by either two ways. One, you can just dig into the compound grab some and apply it onto the pot. It doesn’t need to be perfect or smooth, I think the irregularity makes it look rustic and aged. Two, you can apply it using a firm brush if you don’t want to get your hands dirty. I prefer using my hands and patting the compound onto the pots.

Step 3 Painting

The paint

After the joint compound dries, you paint the pot using any colors you like. For these I used neutral colors, a beige, grey, ivory, and a black. I lightly dipped the brush into the paint and used the dry brush method to paint. You don’t have to paint over the entire joint compound, I think having some peak through adds character to the pots.

Step 4 Applying the embellishments and faux flowers

Adding the faux flowers and embellishments

Finally, you apply the flowers and any embellishments you like to decorate your pots. You can either use a glue gun or spray adhesive which ever you prefer. I used a little of both.

Done

Here’s a photo of my completed pots, I loved how sweet they turned out and they made great little centerpieces. I hope you enjoyed this and will try making some of your own. Happy DIYing and if you want to see more of what I do, please come visit me on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/mycreativekneads/

4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas