Repurposed Badminton Birdie Flowers

$3

All summer long I enjoy real flowers in the gardens, and I can't help myself from creating repurposed flowers to accompany them... like the flowers I'm sharing today made from badminton birdies.

This is such an easy project. I started with a $1 thrift store bunch of plastic badminton birdies with rubber bases.

The first thing I did was remove the black tape that was around the bases.

I removed the rubber bases and cut the plastic shuttles with scissors to create petals.

I pressed down to see if I could get a shuttle to open more. It just bounced right back into shape, so it was on to plan b.

I grabbed a couple of heavy books and placed them on top of the shuttles, and I left them for about 24 hours.

You can see the ones on the right that are done. I have two more under that big wildflowers book.

So that the rubbers bases would fit inside the shuttles, I had to trim the bottoms a bit with an xacto knife.

Here you can see the difference in the bases. They were definitely too wide without trimming.

For the stems I'm using metal skewers that I found for $1. I pick these up whenever I see them at thrift stores. They're great for repurposing projects.

You just need to straighten the bent end with some pliers, which is very easy to do.

I spray painted the shuttles a lovely hot pink, the rubber bases a sunny yellow, and the metal skewers a deep green.

This is where you can customize the look by spray painting the shuttles and bases any colors you love.

To put these flowers together poke the pointed end of the skewer through the bottom of the shuttle into the inside.

Then carefully press the skewer into the rubber base just a bit, and add some E6000 glue onto the bottom of the rubber base and around the skewer.

Then guide the rubber base down into the center of the shuttle.

It might be a good idea to do a dry run to make sure you have the base in a good position and then push the skewer up, add glue, and put the base back in place.

Like so. Here you can see my five flowers after they sat for 24 hours to let the glue is cure.

The fun thing about creating smaller flowers like this is you can add them to plants that have finished their flowering for the season, like this spring flowering Pasque flower.

Borrowing the greenery of flowering plants that have already done their beauty duty for the gardening season is a great way to add some fun to your garden.

I think these would look great tucked into a planter, or you could even use them inside too. 

If you enjoyed this project you can find more garden art flower projects on my blog here.

32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Everything Red For Canada Day
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Color Me Thrifty

• Louise Adams

I don't understand what the bases are .What are they made of and where can I purchase them?

Thanks

• Kathrine Anderson

I think you might also be able to snip some of the plastic "feather" parts to separate and then you could spread them out more if that makes sense. I do that with cupcake ruffles to help flatten them for craft projects.

• Cheri

What do you use for the cinnamon pine cones?

• Lovesunique

You always come up with the cutest repurpose flower ideas!

• Val

Wonderful. Simply wonderful. I saw the picture of the flowers and smiled. So pleasing to the eyes. Thank you so much for sharing.