Asked on Aug 11, 2020

Start an avacado tree from a pit?

CindyMichelle LeslieSimple Nature Decor
+11

• It's pretty easy, Dora. Here's a link with the steps you need to take:

https://empressofdirt.net/grow-avocado-seed-easy/

• Em

I just plunk mine in a small cup and keep it watered. Not all of them will sprout. It takes patience. The idea of the toothpick theory of sticking in toothpicks in the bottom like a tripod gives the newly sprout pit height so the root can grow under until it istime to plant it. The pit will,split, then the root at the bottom shows then the top sends out a shoot. Plant it in soil when it splits and yous start to see root at the bottom. Keep watered. Don't use tap water as they are temperamental and don't like the salts in tap water. They will tolerate it for a while but over the long haul the leave may curl inward and turn brown on the ends. Patience is the key. Give them time and try several. You may only get one to sprout out of a few.

• Janice

Hi Dora, here's a link to a video that will provide you all you need to know... good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=765FiqnhvXA

• Patty

I have done this almost all my life. It is important that you have patience for this process. I roots willbgrow first, then the pitt will split some and the "tree" will grow. Bear in mind, you will get a fun free plant but not one that will bear fruit. When my plants got about 8 inches tall, I plant them in dirt with half the pitt showing above ground. Dont be surprisec if the leaves become crunchy. To avoid this, mist daily.

• Deb K

Hello Dora, I did this once, I always like to try growing stuff....

Hope this helps you, it's really fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw1yyyq-rz8

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Dora, here is some information about growing an avocado tree from a pit, good luck.

How to Grow an Avocado from Seed (Easy Method) | Empress ...

empressofdirt.net › grow-avocado-seed-easy

Jan 7, 2019 - Easy Method to Grow an Avocado Plant from Seed. It takes 4-6 weeks for avocado seeds to be rooted and ready for planting. Remove the seed ( ...

Rating: 5 - ‎8 votes

Hi Dora: You suspend the pit in a class of water. The pointy end, the top, goes up, and the other end in the water. Use 3 toothpicks, stuck into the seed, to suspend the seed over the water. Put it in full sun and keep an eye on the water level so that the end is always in water. If it dries out, you will lose your plant :( This is a hit and miss project, sometimes you win, sometimes not. Good luck

• Simple Nature Decor

You insert two tooth picks one on one end of pit and another on the other end. put over large jar filled with water. Put pit in jar.

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Dora, we've had a lot of success growing pits in a mason jar. Stick a few toothpicks in the side of the pit and suspend on the top of the mason jar. The top pointy end of the pip should point up and the bottom rounded end should be in water. It should sprout in no time. Try to buy your avocado from a farmers market. They don''t treat them with all kinds of hormones that can prevent them from growing naturally.

• Cindy

Hi Dora. Growing an avocado plant will certainly test your patience. Begin by cleaning the pit first. Then make a tripod out of toothpicks for the pit to sit on. Place pit half submerged in a glass of water. Keep an eye on the water level and add more when necessary. Now comes the hard part . . . waiting for the pit to sprout. When the plant reaches a height of about 6 to 8 inches tall, you can plaint it in soil. Once planted you can pinch off top leaves to encourage bushiness. Good luck growing your avocado plant Dora.