Asked on Aug 13, 2020

How can I utilize this space?

Agnes ChrzanowskaMorgan McBrideJanice
+26

We purchased a large entertainment center, and never use the space. Ideals for this space please?

• Eran

Looks perfect for a fish tank!

• Flipturn

Build a frame to fit the front opening, then mount doors on either side. Store large bulky items such as winter parkas, extra comforters, seasonal items (christmas tree, decorations) or heavy odd shaped kitchen items that are used only on specific occasions (large coffee urn, punch bowl) in the space.

Items will be out of sight, and yet will not require climbing up to access. .

With the doors closed, no one will be the wiser as to what is behind.

• Redcatcec

Electric fireplace?

• Michelle Leslie

Hi Trish, shop around for IKEA bookcases (turned sideways) or boxy type storage units to see if any will fit in the space. You can put so pretty baskets inside for extra storage

• K. Rupp

I like the idea of a fireplace or fishtank. I can't see in the pic well but could you use it as a desk. Looks like you might be able to use the area for a large desk?

• I would either add cabinet doors and use it for storage, or build shelves for books, etc.

• Vimarhonor

Cabinetry or bookshelves could be an option

• Nan W.

Bookshelves or cabinets would be the way I'd go! (If you have a dog, maybe it could be a cozy space for it.)

• Johnavallance82

Hi Trish,

Frame it out and add 2 or 3 x doors to form a cupboard. Add shelves if required, or attach track top and bottom for sliding doors.

• Em

I would add a middle shelf and add a few of your favorite items to display a basket or two for cd's, remote, whatever. Cut down shutter doors and add one to each side with shelving in the middle. That way it is storage and display.

• Kathy Gunter Law

I would either custom build some shelves or add baskets and use for storage.

• Deb K

Hi Trish, what about a little cabinet in there for storing dvd's or other items, or just shelving for items like those or books. I like the cabinet idea because closing it in reduces the cluttery look.

• Janice

Take the measuements and shop for a rolling cart (or two) that will fit into the area to use as storage. You could also decorate cardboard boxes by paiinting, decoupaging, or covering with fabric and place them into that area for great storage of items you don't use often.

• Patty

All I can think of is to close it off with doors to make storage. I dunno, if it were my home, I'd take down that shelf so that "cubby" would disappear.

My idea is a little different than just doors, shelves, fireplace, or extra storage. It's under a window and kind of a useless location for storage unless you want to display collectibles or as I call them "dust collectors". I would cut out/remove the window sill even with the opening and build a window seat with storage underneath

• Maura White

I was thinking fishtank - but an electric fireplace would also be awesome!

• Cheryl A

You could put in a couple fabric covered ottoman type seats that you can sit on or use for storage- you could put in baskets and use them for storage as well - here are some photos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y4lq93WVUE

build in a small bookshelf for photos, books, etc.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

What about a fireplace insert?

• Flipturn

With Williams's idea to make the space into a window seat, you could still have storage inside the seat, either access by hinging the top lid, or putting doors on the front of the seat.

• Flipturn

Would an electric fireplace require more wattage than from the standard outlet that is presently there?

I agree. If the outlet is on it's own circuit breaker it would work. If anything else is on the the circuit there could be a problem. I still like the window seat idea.

• Mogie

If you have pets or kids this would be a good place to make an area for them.

Any type of storage would be nice.

Kind of natural place for a stereo system/components. They would be visible but out of the way at the same time.

Hi Trish: How about using the area as a computer desk, especially if you have a laptop? A nice chair and maybe a small cabinet underneath would look nice.

• Flipturn

It would be difficult to find ready-made roll out bin/basket type storage units that fit while still being efficient use of space, and not looking junky.

• Janice

The window seat idea seems like a great one!

• Morgan McBride

You could add shelves and use for storage

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would use it as extra storage with super cool shelves and nice baskets