Easy DIY Bookshelf Decor

$1

I often like to change the background color of the built in shelves that surround my fireplace. After painting my built-ins this time around and rearranging my decor, it was obvious that I needed a few new filler pieces to decorate the shelves with. I didn’t want to spend any money on this mini facelift, so I shopped my home and made this super simple DIY project with materials I already had on hand. By wrapping old books in some recycled wrapping paper and tying them up with some twine I was able to create the perfect accent piece. I think that the sweet little wooden bird cut outs I added on last minute complete the look, and I love how charming this little book set looks on the shelves.

Materials needed

For this simple project all you will need is:

• hardcover books
  • scissors
  • brown craft paper
  • twine or string
  • tape

Step one

The first thing you want to do is remove the dust cover from the book. You will then use this as a guide to trace around the brown craft paper. Leave about and inch of craft paper extra on each side of the dust cover.

Make the new dust cover

After you cut out the piece of brown craft paper, simply fold over the edges of the brown paper to cover the original dust cover. If you want to add tape for extra hold, feel free to do so.

Put the dust cover back on

Put the new dust cover on the book and you are done!

Arrange and style the books

I decided to try a few different papers for a little bit of contrast. I wrapped seven books in total and tied them all together using some twine. I ended up making a second bundle of books, but layed them on their side instead for variation. I love how simple and easy this project was. The neutral colors would match any decor scheme and the overall look is completely customizable. I’m thinking I might change up the twine for some seasonal ribbons as the holidays approach!

Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas

• Eli

As a baby boomer, of course I know how to wrap a book, and why we wrapped them back in school. But this is a GREAT reminder, and to be able to control the decor of your shelves................Thank you!!

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

I was just thinking that! When I was a kid we had to wrap our school books in brown paper bags, this looks just like it! Reminds me of 7th grade😀

• Bbunny

We used paper bags too, but sometimes we were issued paper covers with advertisements in colored ink on them. Those were cool!