Asked on Aug 15, 2020

How do I go about fixing spaces in between brick?

Agnes ChrzanowskaBetsySimple Nature Decor
+15

What do I need to do to go about fixing gaps in between layered brick. I do not need it to look perfect, just decent to fill in those gaps. I am mot very DIY literate.ANY advice would suffice! TYIA

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

Your photo is from outdoors. For this and at the base of your foundation you DO need a proper fix. What is needed is called "brick repointing" and means that a mason comes back and scrapes out all the loose/crumbling mortar and then replaces it with new. This is NECESSARY as the current situation will allow water to permeate the foundation causing damage. Most especially if your area freezes/thaws it must be done before this coming winter. If the foundation fails, the house fails!!!

• Nan W.
    Nan W.

Karyl: I've done this myself. (It probably saved my house from flooding during Hurricane Harvey.)

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-tuckpoint-mortar-joints-1824715

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

We had a similar situation on the chimney (also brick) above the roof. Weather, freezing and thawing compromised the bricks and mortar. Since neither of us could climb up there and do the job, we choose to have the chimney taken down.

In your pictures the worst of it is at the base, there are still some "gappy" spots on up the wall.

Since you are not too diy savy, I would suggest calling in professionals for this masonry problem, get their advice and free estimates evaluating your situation. Call in multiple professionals, let them tell you what needs doing. Take their advice and go from there.

• Maura White
    Maura White

I probably agree with the professional help advice! My mom's name is also Karyl - spelled the same way! Don't think she's ever met another karyl with that spelling!!

• Annie
    Annie

You can buy masonary grout from local building store. Mix it stiff, into a paste that you can handle with your hands. Push in with hands.

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

I would ensure the loose mortar is cleaned out. Then I would buy a tube of concrete caulk and fill the gaps. The other option also mentioned is mixing grout and stuffing into the gaps. However, I think the caulk is a lot less work. Smooth it with a wet finger to match existing mortar style.

• Em
    Em

My go to is Quick set Mortar. Comes in a box. Mix small amounts at a time as it DOES set fast. There are tools to force the mortar into the cracks but sometimes your fingers work just as well. Use a trial to catch what is falling off of your tool. Check the box stores to get a and chisel to clean out any loose mortar. Mix a small batch of mortar with water. Wet the existing brick with a hose. Push mortar into the void in the brick and use a pointing tool to smooth out once the crack is filled.

• Mogie
    Mogie

It appears that the problem could be bigger then sagging bricks. You need to call someone to check this out. I have seen commercials for Ram Jack and they deal with foundation problems but they aren't cheap.

• Oliva
    Oliva

You can most likely repair this following Em's advise. Be careful to first wet your existing brick before mortaring, or the mortar will absorb too much moisture from surrounding brick, cracking or settling, in the process.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Is it structural or a veneer? If it is built onto your foundation, you just need to chisel out the old stuff and apply new mortar. I would also check why it became that way. Excessive run off from a poorly placed down spout or diverting the water would keep it from further damage. Good luck and stay safe!

• Karyl
      Karyl

Thank you. Going to go with the motar fix first...see what happens. This brick work had been done approximately 50 years ago, just starting to gap about a year or so ago. Just wanted to hop on it before it gets any worse. Thanks for the advice as well as the other replies I received on here!

And you and loved ones Stay Safe also ! Thanks again😉

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello there,

If you want PROFESSIONAL LOOK! Ask a Bricklayer to "Repoint" wall for you. It will be uniform and you can have a choice of type of Pointing.

Betsy

Hi Karyl: What I do is get a mortar mix that's about the thickness of peanut butter, put it in a turkey baster and squirt it in between my bricks. Be sure to use a wire brush to remove all of the loose mortar and clean the bricks. You can also use a trowel and shove the mortar into the openings, which is what the professionals do, but I'm a baster person and it has always worked for me. It goes way into the cracks. Also, when you are finished, use something to even out the mortar so it looks nice. Good luck

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

it needs to get cleaned out properly that means removed pieces left and re-pointed again