How to Paint Your Bathtub and Shower Like a Pro

$30

We were able to refinish our tub for under $30 in paint and it makes a huge difference when you don’t have the time or budget to do a full makeover in a bathroom.You can read a full tutorial on our blog HERE.

Prep is the most important step

I know, I know, prep work sucks but it’s especially important in this project.

Before you start, open any windows you can nearby and use the exhaust fan in your bathroom plus any other plug-in fans you’ve got nearby. Those fumes are no joke.

Clean it really, really well with a household cleaner to make sure all the grime is gone.

It seems kind of counterintuitive but once it’s all clean you’ve got to then run your sander over the whole thing so the paint has something rough to adhere to. Give it all a wipe over with your tack cloth to get rid of any dust.

Next remove any caulk around the edges, corners, wherever there’s caulk or silicone that your paint is going to touch.

To be honest, I skipped this step in the instructions thinking it’d be fine and it did turn out okay, but would’ve been much easier had I have just done what I was told.

Shocker.

Time to paint

Throw some painters tape up around all your edges and around your drain/tub spout/shower head and you’re good to go.

This stuff is epoxy paint so it’s not like using a regular paintbrush and just slapping it on there. The kit comes with a Part A and Part B tub. The Part A, the little one, is poured into the Part B to create the epoxy paint you’ll use.

By this point, all that mixing probably has it pretty fumey in your work area. Make sure you’re wearing a mask and pour some of the paint into a tray (or if you’re me and can’t find a tray, use a paper plate).

Load up your roller but make sure it’s not too full – because of how thin the solution is, it’s really easy to drip. Start rolling the same way you would with normal paint and work section-by-section.

I found the best method was to paint one quadrant of each panel, move onto the next one, then after a few minutes drying go back to the previous part I’d just painted to go over it and smooth out any bubbles.

Leave the fans on and let dry for a really long time

We removed the painters tape and left the fans running overnight to help with the fumes, but were able to turn them off the next morning. Re-caulk all the edges of your tub the next day and don’t use the shower for three days if possible (that’s what’s recommended on the box kit).

Step back and enjoy your new tub look!

If you like this post, make sure you subscribe to our newsletter to keep up-to-date on our next projects!

Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
15 Memorial Day Crafts
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors

• Debbie

I have one of those plastic one piece showers/bath. Can I paint that? It’s black and I hate it. Thank you.

• Shannon

Did you also paint the actual tub? One of the tubs in our bathroom is pretty dingy/old looking and I’ve been debating wether to replace it or not and actually didn’t know you could paint a bathtub. Lol

• You will need to buy a box for the surround & a box for the tub, 1 box will not cover both, if I remember correctly, it recommends using two coats