Burlap DIY Craft Feather

$5

Do you get great ideas in the middle of the night then can't remember them in the morning?

Happens to me all-the-time!

Recently, I starting leaving a pen and notepad on the nightstand to jot down those fabulous ideas.

Most mornings, I either can't read what I wrote, or I think, "what a terrible idea!" But the other morning, I read my idea and decided to give it a try. Now we have several burlap feathers around our house.

Glad I couldn't sleep that night! :)

Burlap feathers along with drop cloth feathers

Finished feathers added to wood beads. This are great to tie on gifts too.

Check out the easy step by step below. The drop cloths feathers were created on a live DIY video. It's in the link at the bottom of the post.

Important first step

Make sure to turn your burlap so the weave is on the bias. That means when you look at the threads they make an X.

Cut out feather

Using scissors cut out a simple feather shape. Notice the threads are on the bias. This feather is about 8 inches long and 3 1/2 - 4 inches wide.

Add glue

Add a line with white craft glue from the top to the bottom. The line of glue has a slight curve.

Push glue down a little

Use a small paintbrush or your finger and push the glue down into the fibers a little.

Add the rachis

The rachis is the middle of the feather. This feather's rachis is white twine. Of course, you can use any color of twine. Lay the twine into the glue.

Fold

Lightly fold along the middle and hold with scissors or whatever is handy until the glue dries.

Comb

Now use a wide tooth comb and start combing the burlap threads. I borrowed the dog's comb. Shhh! Don't tell them.

Doesn't look like a feather, right?

Keep combing out on both sides. You'll lose your feather shape but...

Reshape

Those scissors will help find the shape again.

Burlap comes in many colors so think about this the next time you see pink burlap in the store. ;)

Remember to check the drop cloth feathers video on the post.

I'm glad I missed a bit of sleep to come up with this idea.

Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Perfectly Round Tables
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Everything Red For Canada Day
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Country Design Style-Jeanette

• Melody Stern

Very,very Cute! .....I use Mod Podge to make my burlap table runners, measure and draw my lines with a pencil, trace lines with Mod Podge, cut out when dry,, dries fast and clear,pliable yet no shredding edges! Might want to try instead of the glue!!.......

• Gloria

Thanks for the feather idea. I will be making a flower arrangement with burlap flowers and can't wait to add the feathers!