How can I change the color of a lamp shade?

+17

I have a green lamp shade and want a lighter color. Can spray paint it or should I just buy a new shade?

• Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Aug 17, 2020

Hi Kim, this is Peggy. I have painted lots of lampshades and they come out great. I have sprayed and used a brush to paint them. Good luck

• Patty Patty on Aug 17, 2020

Going lighter will be a challenge but you have only the cost of a can of spray paint to lose, so try it!

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Aug 17, 2020

Hi Kim, yes you can spray paint the lampshade . You might find that the light is darker when you put it on though.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Aug 17, 2020

You can paint to a lighter color, but because you are now layering the colors, the light coming through the lampshade may be darker than anticipated. It will show the lighter color better in the daylight, darker at night.

• K. Rupp K. Rupp on Aug 17, 2020

Sure you can totally spray paint. Try a fabric spray paint made for fabric. You can find the Tulip brand at Joanne fabrics, Micheals, Hobby lobby or online.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Aug 17, 2020

Hi there,

Try painting it with chalk paint or Wall emulsion Tester Pot!

• Flipturn Flipturn on Aug 17, 2020

Is the lining/inside of the shade green as well, or is it white?

This will make a difference in how dark/light the painted shade will appear.

What material is the shade made out of - fabric, plastic, ?

This will make a difference in how well the paint adheres to the shade.

• See 1 previous
    • Flipturn Flipturn on Aug 17, 2020

OK. That's a neutral color, so I would say for the cost of can of spray paint, it is worth a go, as new shades can get really pricey even when their quality is not that good.

If the new look of the shade with the light shining through does not meet with your expectations, you can still say that you tried, and you may even have paint left in the spray can for another project.

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Aug 17, 2020

Yes, you can spray paint it, but you can also cover it with fabric.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/change-color-lamp-shades-56737.html

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Aug 17, 2020

Hello. Yes I have spray-painted lampshades the metal and paper styles have the best results . Fabric ones will have a little texture added by the paint.

Sometimes I spray the inside of the shade a secondary color such as white or gold to add an enhanced illumination affect.

• Kim Kim on Aug 17, 2020

What is the the best spray paint?

• Ken Erickson Ken Erickson on Aug 17, 2020

You can go to places like Goodwill or Habitat Restore and get lamp shades cheap.

• Kim Kim on Aug 17, 2020

I know I can go anywhere to get a shade. It’s the money. But thanks

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Aug 17, 2020

Here is a video, Kim that may help you out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkrYoLPZGqY

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Aug 17, 2020

It’s usually easy to go from a light color to a dark one - but going the other way is hard - the light coming through will be dampened by the dark color. I think you’ll be happier with a new shade - or covering the old frame with light fabric or paper?

• PJ PJ on Aug 17, 2020

I have painted a fabric lamp shade and it did something funny to the texture. Personally, I didn't care for it, but maybe that's just me. Good luck with your project.

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Aug 22, 2020

I'd spray paint it, what do you have to lose!