Need help decorating

+11

We Are looking for advice on things we can do to create a nice men’s room. My college age boys are ready to update their room. So far we have: replaced the flooring, painted the requested wall color (grey with purple hue), bought white quilt covers, and added the fluffy white carpet between beds. Now, we need help with the rest and tying all together.

One is a reader so we need the bookshelf. The other likes chic / modern style / and is a minimalist. We need two twin beds in room. It’s going to be a DESIGN IN A DINE type room. Any suggestions? As always THANK YOU for any help you can give!!

t need help decorating
t need help decorating
t need help decorating
  • We recently updated our 17 year-old son's room into a dorm room style with a loft bed, love seat, TV and gaming console, and mini fridge. Hubby built a lot of the shelving, etc himself and we picked up all of the pieces on Nextdoor and FB Marketplace. I think we spent $150 max on the entire room. Good luck with your project! I'm sure they are going to love it! Hugs, Holly

• K. Rupp K. Rupp on Aug 17, 2020

Dark grey and navy bedding would complement the walls nicely. I love the flooring you picked out. Get rid of the vertical aluminum blinds. Put in wooden roman shades or dark grey curtains lining both sides of the large window. Don't use full length curtains...will drive you crazy....Just curtains to the window sill. Use a roman blind or wooden shades for the window close to the headboard that is similar to the longer curtains. Paint the dresser a charcoal grey. You can even play with the arrangement of the room. Do both beds have to go on that wall? Also, since you have white bedding, try to add a navy or dark grey blanket at the foot of the bed and complement it with a masculine(grey or navy) throw pillow or 2. I would paint the headboards similar masculine grey or black. The throw rug looks fine there but you need to anchor it with a larger area rug (masculine similar colors and not white) in the middle of the room at the end of the beds maybe.

And since you just redid the room to look new, I would switch out your light switchplates and sockets for new ones. I know that seems overkill, but it's those little touches that give a room a new feeling.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Aug 17, 2020

Hi there,

Ask the boys their favourite colours and try to find things in those colours . I would not keep the white fluffy rug and I would paint the blinds grey for when closed. White bedding might be a mistake too, These are Boys! Best wishes.

Even if you don't like their choice of colours, in a year or two you'll need to change it again, as their tastes will change. Hang on in there................

• Flipturn Flipturn on Aug 17, 2020

Painting the closet doors a darker color would help give the room a more masculine look.

I agree with others who have said to cover or switch the white bedding and to take out white fluffy rug. They are far too feminine looking, and will be difficult to keep clean, especially with the lads eating in the room.

On the subject of the closet, since both will be sharing the space, I would raise the bar as far as it can go while still allowing reaching up to hang a hanger. Doing this will create more vertical space, which will then permit a double rod hanging (see example below). Remove the top shelf, and remount in near the bottom of the closet where items are more accessible.This shelf can then used for shoes, et al, and will permit vacuuming of the floor without having to move any stuff.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Aug 17, 2020

I would suggest that you set up a 'charging station' shelf nearest to one of the wall outlets, and then exchange the present standard plug with one that that has usb portals. (example below) Builders are not generous with plugs in bedrooms, and often because they are located in unreachable locations behind beds, this results in unsafe setups with extension chords.

Floating shelves with edges (often sold as picture frame shelves) work well as charging stations because the edge helps prevent mobile devices from falling off.

• Patty Patty on Aug 17, 2020

My post from last night did not hold, so starting again. I would use black, white, silver and gray. Move the dresser to the end of the bed, along the wall. Paint it gloss black. Move the bookshelf between the two beds, paint it gloss black too. Buy two chrome gooseneck lamps, one for each son. Place on bookshelf. Make some black throw pillows for their bed. Perhaps make some large black floor pillows, too. Ask each son to choose a poster that goes with these colors, or is highly colorful, maybe graphic design. Leave closet doors, window coverings alone. All of what I mentioned can be done inexpensively.

• Sharon Sharon on Aug 17, 2020

Hmmm when I went off to college and came home the first time, my mom had turned my room into her she shed. But she did put a guess bed down in the artists studio.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Aug 17, 2020

Ikea book shelves would fit the bill for both styles. Metallic finish night stands between the best. Of course, you need a mirror which you could do with the same metallic finish. Perhaps a few black and white photos, depending on the wall space you have.

• Dee Dee on Aug 18, 2020

I would restain the headboards a much darker color. Then move the book shelf between the two beds. I would put up roman shades instead of the blinds, and change the switch plates to silver. I would put up shelves for books on the wall. Don't paint the closet doors black, they will show everything, leave them as they are. I am sure the boys have wall hangings that they want to put up. I love the floor, is it laminate of wood?

• Stacey Stacey on Aug 18, 2020

if you have one close. Aldi will have bedding on sale tomorrow.

• Janice Janice on Aug 18, 2020

Hi Janie, depending upon the size of the room, perhaps the headboards cold be removed and the beds repositioned into an "L" in one corner or the other to make the room more apartment-like. This would allow for more floor space and possibly a couple of small chairs or beanbags in the room.

If the above isn't practical/suitable, stain or paint the headboards to match the low bookcase which could be placed between the beds with a lamp with two lights so reading is posible for each boy. Place the tall dreser on the wall beneath the wall shelves, if there's room.. Create storage space beneath the beds with pull out drawers (cardboard boxes cut to size is an inexpensive fix). Unless one of the boys loves the furry rug, place it elsewhere in the home. I'd also rethink the white comforters; duvet covers could be made quickly in school colors or the boy's choice from two sheets sewn together. Let them join in the fun of decorating by adding posters or whatever pleases them to the walls. Maybe a U.S. flag, state flag, or pennants from their college?

The wall color and new floor is beautiful, a larger rug would be nice.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom Holly Lengner - Lost Mom on Aug 19, 2020

Adding new curtains, a large area rug and modern bedding could really transform that bedroom.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Aug 31, 2020

Removing those shutter and adding some curtains with horizontal shutters will already make a huge change.. I would for sure paint walls darker more sleek colors , build some shelves on the walls , carpet or rug .