Antique Chair Remodel

$35

I found this gorgeous chair at the Habitat Restore for $35. I think the fabric made everyone else overlook it, since it wasn't getting any attention (until I stuck it on my cart, of course.)

The carvings were utterly gorgeous, and I was so excited to get it home and start working on it!

I started by stripping off the finish using Citristrip. To my surprise, I found cherry wood beneath it, not the stained oak I was expecting!

You can really see in this photo the difference in color once the finish was removed!

I put a clear finish on top of the wood, which really lightened it up from how I brought it home, then started working on the fabric. For more details, be sure to check out the full blog post.

I pulled off the old fabric, and recovered the chair with a bleached drop cloth. The padding I found underneath was really interesting!

I secured the fabric in place upholstery staples in hidden places, and brad nails in the visible spots.

I absolutely love how the chair turned out, and am so excited I found it at such a good price! It's the first real "antique" I've worked on, and it makes me happy every time I look at it.

If you like it too, be sure to go check out how it fits in with the rest of my living room. I just did a full remodel, and the chair fits in perfectly!

Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
Lindsay Fay

• Na

Great find. Great job. It looked like you were able to save all the carved detail.

• Christine Ewing

I love it!!! I have a similar chair, unfortunately no carvings. But it is cherry wood, and I want to reupholster it. I love the drop cloth idea. Thanks for the inspiration.