Antique Chair Remodel

$35

I found this gorgeous chair at the Habitat Restore for $35. I think the fabric made everyone else overlook it, since it wasn't getting any attention (until I stuck it on my cart, of course.)

The carvings were utterly gorgeous, and I was so excited to get it home and start working on it!

I started by stripping off the finish using Citristrip. To my surprise, I found cherry wood beneath it, not the stained oak I was expecting!

You can really see in this photo the difference in color once the finish was removed!

I put a clear finish on top of the wood, which really lightened it up from how I brought it home, then started working on the fabric. For more details, be sure to check out the full blog post.

I pulled off the old fabric, and recovered the chair with a bleached drop cloth. The padding I found underneath was really interesting!

I secured the fabric in place upholstery staples in hidden places, and brad nails in the visible spots.

I absolutely love how the chair turned out, and am so excited I found it at such a good price! It's the first real "antique" I've worked on, and it makes me happy every time I look at it.

If you like it too, be sure to go check out how it fits in with the rest of my living room. I just did a full remodel, and the chair fits in perfectly!

Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Lindsay Fay

• Christine Ewing
    Christine Ewing

I love it!!! I have a similar chair, unfortunately no carvings. But it is cherry wood, and I want to reupholster it. I love the drop cloth idea. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Shellie Turner
    Shellie Turner

So beautiful. I love that you saw the diamond and made it shine brightly again.