How to Build a Simple and Classic Backyard Stone Fire Pit

$1500

How to build a simple and classic stone fire pit for your backyard.

Click here to visit my DIY Gallery on the blog with over 40 easy home DIY's

Building Your Fire Pit

Cool evenings sitting around a backyard fire pit is simply the best! This stone fire pit was one of the first DIY's during our first summer here at our coastal Maine home. There is plenty of stone on the surrounding border of the property and that is what we used to create this backyard fire pit. It took a bit of muscle and one crushed finger, other than that it was pretty simple to create...

Gather Stones

The stones were super heavy so we used a wheelbarrow and a shovel to move the rocks to a level place in the backyard that we chose for the fire pit.

Moving the Stones

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

We used the shovel as a lever to lift the stones into the wheelbarrow.

Moving Stone

Rolling the stone into the wheelbarrow to move to the backyard.

Designing and Building the Fire Pit

My goal was to have around and tall fire pit that I could rest my feet on while sitting on a large upright Adirondack chair.

Circular Stone Fire Pit

Building the stone fire pit was like creating a puzzle. It took us three builds to finally get the fire pit to the way we wanted it. It was a simple trial and error.

Adirondack Chairs

I luv the classic white Adirondack chairs, however, I am always so uncomfortable in them at only 5'1". I just sink so far back into them. Then I discovered these upright Polywood Adirondack Chairs made by C.R. Plastics. I found mine in stock at a local dealer.

Simple and Classic Fire Pit with Adirondack Chairs

The Adirondack chair's Polywood is made out of long lasting recycled materials. These chairs weigh in at about 60lbs. each and are guaranteed from cracking and peeling, and will never require painting or staining! I LUV them! They will last forever in New England's harsh weather.

Cozy Outdoor Fire Pit

That was it it. A super easy backyard DIY that we will be able to gather around and enjoy for years to come!

Fire Pit

Add a couple pillows and enjoy!

Fire Pit

Stone Fire Pit

Stone Fire Pit

Iron Grate

We also added this grate from Amazon to the inside of the fire pit to raise the wood so air can flow under the wood when burning.

Fire Pit

Without Chairs

Fire Pit

Fire Pit without chairs .

Fire Pit

Gorilla Heavy Duty Constructive Adhesive

We recently secured the stones with this and it worked great!

3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Ann

• BDBree

Did you think of leaving a stone out on bottom, to allow some air to flow through the rocks? Maybe like at 2, 6 and 10 o'clock? Or does it get enough air?

• Cindy

It is never a good idea to allow hot embers to fall into the soil. A protective layer of sand then a good 4 inches or more of Lava Rocks or Fire Retardant Bricks. As most rock can’t take the extreme heat. (Grandson is a Boy Scout and learned how to protect the environment). It’s a beautiful fire pit!

• Judy Pelfrey

How do you build a rich bbq pit with chimney

• Janerose

We had one hrs ago made with cinderblocks n cement...

first build it like a box with no top...

next put your grate on...it doesn’t have to come all the way to the front...

measure halfway back on both sides...add cinderblocks until desired hight

across the top of the second part add a piece of sheet metal n chicken wire (don’t need ch wire but it helped hold the cement...to create your top piece...on the Metal n chicken wire you need to mark whatever wide metal pipe you are going to use for yr chimney n cut out the piece of sheet metal n chicken wire...use heavy duty gloves n sharp snips for this part...

when everything is in place...skim coat the chicken wire or metal with cement...before dry you can add a design with a sharp tool or screwdriver or marbles etc that won’t be harmed by the fire/heat...

skim coat the cement around the chimney too...n hereto u can add yr design etc...takes awhile but beautiful when done.

• Dani

Love the look but what type of stone did you use?! I did this a few months ago and my stones are cracking, breaking and crumbling due to the heat of the fire. Did you chose a special type of stone?!

• Ann

Oh no Dani. No we just used the stones in the woods on our property. I’ve never heard of the stones cracking before. We had one at another home that never cracked. I’m so sorry that’s happening to yours...

• Kim Workman Anderton

Nice and natural looking. I built a stone fire pit, only I used small flat stones and laid them around a hole lined with galvanized metal and a galvanized bucket for the fire. I gradually layered them with smaller ones at the top. Im just not sure how to secure them in place so they never move. Any suggestions?

• Ann

Yes we secured ours recently with gorilla heavy duty constructive adhesive!

• Kim Workman Anderton

Thank you. I did use a construction glue on the first two layers. Those seem to be secure. Ill try the gorilla glue to finish up. I was hoping there would be some type of liquid I could just pour over the rocks. I