Colorado Wood Slice Headboard

$375

As part of my quarantine crafting, I’ve been using up leftovers from past projects. This project repurposed a panel from an old closet door and some leftover paint into a custom headboard.

i’ve been meaning to build a custom headboard for my boyfriend. He needed something masculine to fit his very tall Cal King and not damage the wall in his rental apartment. I designed this headboard from natural wood slices harvested from trees on the Front Range of Colorado.

Laying it out

I have two large 1/8” thick pieces of paneling that had a former life as part of sliding closet doors. They are lightweight, so perfect backing for the headboard.

I used a circular saw to cut the panel down to 73.5” x 36” and cut pine 1x4s to frame the panel.

I found it very helpful to have lots of clamps available for this step.

Testing the color palette

I have lots of leftover paint from past projects, so used Dollar Store construction paper to test out different color backgrounds before deciding.

I painted the panel with Inkwell by Sherwin Williams - leftover from my house trim.

Paint and assemble the frame

One the paint on the panel was dry, I attached the frame pieces with construction adhesive and clamps and let it dry.

Building the frame

I laid the frame face down on the garage floor and used a nail gun to secure the backboard to the frame in addition to the liquid nails. This enabled me to add some security without putting nail holes in the front of the frame. I used furring strips on the back to ensure the nails would go through the front and provide more stability.

Figuring out the layout

Next I planned the layout.

I had intended to cut wood slices from wood in my woodpile, but turns out that is super dangerous and hard to do without the right tools. Fortunately I found a local handyman selling wood slices cut to 1/4” and already dried.

It’s a bit like doing a giant puzzle. The key is to make them stack like a woodpile, so none of the pieces are floating.

Ready to glue

Once I had it all laid out, I used Liquid Nails to glue the wood slices down one by one. I also used the chop say to cut additional tiny rounds from maple branches in my woodpile to fill in where needed.

Finished and ready to install!

Ready for install. To add stability and enable the headboard to sit flush against the wall, I nailed a 1x6 from the back across the bottom and painted it to match the backboard.

Installed!

Since this was a surprise, I was guessing on the height. We tested it in place and it was 5” to tall and the horizontal brace covered the electrical outlet. No problem! Grabbed the Circular saw and cut it down right there. We added stick on floor protectors to the back so it wouldn’t scratch the wall.

Now his boring bedroom has a dramatic statement piece.

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper

• Brenda Hickernell

So all the pieces are sitting out there, meaning, there is no kind of coating/varnish/poly on them? Thinking of trying to keep them somewhat dust free or at least easier to clean...

• Em

Put varnish, spray whatever you want on your own project. That is the beauty of this site. Ideas are out there and you change them to suit yourself.

• Mickyhowle

Is it attached to the bed or does the bed frame keep it against the wall? I'm having an addition built and if I sweet talk the contractor he'll cut me what I need. This would fit in perfectly.

• Ruthe Farmer

This is designed to stand against the wall. I had intended to use Command Velcro strips to secure it, but the bed frame does the job. It certainly could be attached to the frame, but a friend pointed out that then you’ve be moving the headboard every time you move the bed.