Make a Sunflower Swag

$35

It is time to look toward fall. Without going all fall leaves and pumpkins, a sunflower and daisy swag is a nice late summer swag to cheer passers by. I would love to have you stop by my blog , Celebrate & Decorate for more details as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

Use a block of styrofoam roughly the dimensions as the one above. About 12 inches long by 4 inches wide and 2 inches thick.

I began pushing wire through the piece of styrofoam to make my hook to hang my swag from. If you don’t put something beneath the wire, it will pull all the way through and cut the styrofoam. I chose to use a piece of tape wrapped floral wire and made it into an “M” shape to keep it from cutting through the foam.

Here is another photo to show you how I pulled the wire through and down over the wrapped wire.

On the backside of the styrofoam I used the same technique and twisted the two ends of the wire into a circle to be able to hang my swag on a hook.

With my base hung on the door from a Command hook, I am ready to begin making my swag.

To make an oversized swag like this one, ivy is a good choice for the greenery, as it can drape very long. I cut apart a full faux ivy bush into individual pieces. Using my Steel Pix machine to add steel picks onto the end of the pieces. 

Decide how long you want your swag to be and use the lengths of ivy to create the size swag you want. Secure the ivy into the foam block. If you don’t have a Steel Pix machine, you can use wood wired sticks. 

Continue to build up your swag with additional ivy. 

Build up the swag with ivy toward the top. 

When you are ready to add your sunflowers, if they are like mine, I needed to use a knife to narrow down the stems so they can be stuck into the styrofoam. 

Stick the sunflowers into the styrofoam like shown above. You want to fill the swag from top to bottom. 

In addition to the ivy, use all of the foliage from the sunflowers, tucking it around the sunflower blossoms. 

The sunflowers look great, but I wanted to add some white for contrast. 

The daisies I selected to use had stiff stems that could be stuck directly into the styrofoam. 

Fill in the daisies around the sunflowers and around the edges of the swag. Make sure that you fill in the sides of the swag so that no styrofoam is showing. 

…and you have a lovely sunflower swag to dress up your door! I would love to have you stop by my blog ,  Celebrate & Decorate for more details as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Chloe Crabtree

• Glory

What can we do when we don't have a steel pix machine?

• Chloe Crabtree

You can use wood wired sticks to attach the florals, OR use all florals with stiff stems like the daisies.