Thrifted Dining Chair Update

$20

I found some beautiful chairs at a great price and decided to give them a little face lift to achieve the look I wanted.

Before

Here are the chairs. I found them online for sale for an awesome price (especially compared to buying them new-yikes!)

Primer

To start my project I grabbed some white rustoleum bonding primer. This primer is made specifically to help paint adhere to any service. Since I was short on time and didn’t have a chance to sand my chairs down, I decided to opt for this primer.

1st coat of primer

The key to getting a nice finish when using spray paint is thin even coats!

Paint

I wanted just a nice matte black for my chairs and decided to use rustoleum brand flat black. The coverage was surprisingly good!

2 coats of black

I ended up needing to do 2 coats of black on each chair using roughly 3 cans of spray paint. The flat paint finish turned out even more perfect than I expected! Looking at these chairs, I’d never suspect they’d been spray painted.

After

Honestly, spray painting furniture is such a simple and easy way to give them a quick update. Just remember to hit every angle and keep it moving to avoid runs!

I’d still like to add a rug under the table to help brighten the space, but I love classic black with a warm wood table.

Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look

• Pat C

The chairs look fantastic! I would love to do mine, but I am really terrible at using spray paint.

• Renz

I will. I didn't know I need "bonding paint " when I've used the primer and paint in one can. Maybe that's why it rubs off occ. I don't see where it says "chalk paint"