Dollar Store Canvas Print Revamp- The Grand Finale

$5

I am making baby steps in my progress towards decorating the laundry room. If you recall from a previous post my current decor consists of 3 small items that I DIY’d. While these items illuminate an otherwise drab space, the rest of the room is strictly utilitarian and really needs some work! I gotta step up my game!!! Well imagine my surprise when I found 2 more dollar store canvases in my She-Shed stash! While I was planning initially to do 2 different projects with the frames, my first attempt at this print came out so well that I decided to make a second one... and here we are with the gran finale of my Dollar Store Canvas Print Revamp “series” (ooh.. doesn’t calling it a series make it seem so... chic?!). 😆

While there may be someone in the world that has done this before, I came up with the idea for the design after I saw someone make a brick pattern on a wall with joint compound and tape- how clever! Their final project looked fantastic! So taking that concept I got to work. The final look somewhat reminds me of the decorative tin ceiling tiles. You know the ones they used to put in homes “back in the day”?! You can put as much or as little detail as you want. I want to try this on a few other surface to see how it will come out!! Well... Without any further adieu, here is how I did it.

*Optional Step*

I decided to first coat my canvas with paint in order to “prime” the surface, as I wasn’t sure how well the joint compound would stick. On my second one I didn’t do this and the joint compound stuck just fine so it really wasn’t necessary. I suppose the only real benefit to doing this step is that you wouldn’t have to do as many coats of paint to cover the print and risk losing the details of the stencil once it has been applied.

You will need joint compound, a putty knife, and a stencil to create the design. ****Note: If you have one near you, you can pick up a small cup of joint compound from the Dollar Tree. It is generally located in their “Tool” section.****

Once the canvas was dry I placed my stencil in the desired location.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Apply the joint compound!

Once you have the stencil situated on the canvas, simply apply the joint compound to the stencil with a putty knife!

Here are the frames once the joint compound was applied.

The next step is to apply paint. For some reason I thought this yellow was a lot more subdued... This yellow was so bright that I was sure it would glow in the dark!!! I later repainted it a crisp white. Still debating but I think I may add this one to my newly renovated bathroom. The other I painted a burnt orange to match my laundry room decor!

Now if this “look” tickles your fancy you can stop here... but I think by now you all know that I am EXTRA.. and needed to... kick it up a notch! *In walks scrap boards from kitchen shelving that I recently took down...*. Ooohh this is gonna be good.

After adding a frame.... DONE!

I believe that adding this to my current gallery wall (mmhmm yes a gallery wall...that’s what we are gonna call it... you know... as if I planned it that way....😬😬...just go with it!) will add a hint of a classic-look to the space!

Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home

• Debbie VanSchuyver
    Debbie VanSchuyver

Could you use this raised piece as a “stamp”?

• Nicole Juarez DIY
      Nicole Juarez DIY

🤔 you may be able to... you would definitely have to seal it initially with paint of some sort since the joint compound dissolves in water/moisture. One issue I would foresee is loosing the detail of your stamp after a while (details would become clogged with paint unless you clean them thoroughly after each use).... Then again... maybe you wouldn’t have issues with clogging if you used ink! Good question!

• Tina
    Tina

Really beautiful and clever!

• Moondust
    Moondust

Shot gun kitchen, dinning room, and living room. How do I break up dinning room from living room without losing open concept?

• Patricia
      Patricia

Paint the individual spaces with a different color of paint or paint with different shades of the same color for a more subtle division of spaces.

• Loretta
    Loretta

So these stencils must be pretty think to get such a raised effect. Where did you find the. Looks cool.

• Nicole Juarez DIY
      Nicole Juarez DIY

They are actually quite flimsy. The raised effect comes from how thick the joint compound is applied over the stencil. The stencil is from Walmart.

• Donna Mast
    Donna Mast

Love it and it doesn’t seem to be real hard to do. I need something for a wall in my kitchen. I think I might try this idea and have a gallery wall too! Thanks!!