Tire Planter

$21

Looking for something to do with those old tires? Use them to upgrade your garden! Planters can be expensive, but this clever repurpose will save you money and make your outdoor areas look beautiful.

Step 1: Get Tires

Find a tire! You can get these for free at most tire shops. I just drove up, asked for a couple and they loaded them up!

Step 2: Paint your tires with primer

Spray your tire with a primer or light colored spray paint for the base.

Step 3: spray paint desired color

I decided to give the tires a stony finish. To get this look, use a stone texture spray paint all over the tires. One can per tire to really give it a stone effect.

***UPDATE: this texture didn’t hold up outside so skip this step and use the color of your choice for this step***

Step 4: Make space in your garden for tires

Dig out a shallow space for your tire to sit.

Step 5: Add your tires to the garden

Place your tire in the desired location and secure with dirt or rocks.

Step 6: Add the soil

Pour your soil into each tire.

Step 7: Add your plants

Fill the bottom with a bit of soil and add in your plant of choice. I’m using a soft touch holly bush.

Step 8: Fill in around your plants with soil

Add more soil to fill and remove your dog’s nose from your new planter.

Step 8: Water

Water those plant babies!

Step 9: Enjoy!

Step back and admire your new super cheap planters.

30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized

• Judy

Do you know how much 24 railroad ties cost, plus the filling for the bed - probably plywood with a wood chip filling?

It's a bit prohibitive on MY budget.

• Molly Jo

those wood landscape timbers are not part of this project. It will work on any raised bed or right onto the ground.

Except in my city that says using old tires for planters is against code and they take you to court to remove them :::eyeroll::: small town life.

• Looks nice. How large will the soft Holly become? So cute when your directions included "remove dog's nose" !!😁

• Gale

I have 2 stacks of 3 tires high for my tomato plants! Works great! And 3 tires near the back door with moss rose in them. Looks great!!!

• Mary

How do I paint metal screen burglar door?

• Sandra

Thank you for your post. I have tires all over our back yard...planter for a mini watermelon, zucchini squash. Tomato plant, staked with cage, also a large cactus. Painted most a light color, due to the extreme summer heat in Arizona. Husband made a 3 tier wishing well that’s in one corner of our yard.

• Shirley

I learned to make tire flowers. Found 2 ply to be easiest to turn. Measure the sidewalks 3” to make the petals. The tire beads can be used to trim flower pots. Turning the tires is the hardest part especially betting it started & towards the end. Step on the side of the tire all the way around. Finish by pushing the last bit with your hand. I turned 72 tires to make a garden around our chain link fence & a daisy in the front yard. Take your leaves to fill them. A full tire in the fall will give you 3” of composted leaves by spring. Nice way to contain vining plants. I used cheap spray pain to paint the tires. All were different colors. 1 can per tire. I did this in the 90’s. No pics to show.