Art Deco Coffee Hutch

$50
1 Week

At a garage sale there was this small hutch just calling my name. I answered and took it home to try my hand at making a coffee station out of it.

While the oak frame was sturdy, the top, back and bottom plywood pieces all were rotted and needed to be replaced. For the top, bottom and lower back I used scrap plywood...measure, cut and attach with screws. The second job was to fix the crown molding on the top. Both corners had separated. Wood glue and a furniture vice remedied this problem.

I used soapy water to clean the piece that had not been cleaned in 30 years. Once clean, I lightly sanded to help the paint adhere. I painted the inside and outside with an off white satin enamel. I also removed the drawer and doors and painted those with two coats. The knobs were so cool I left them a natural wood.

The next job was to assemble and cut 6 pieces of vintage tongue and groove wood to fit the back. Once cut, fitted and sanded I applied several coats of semigloss polyurethane. Then the 6 pieces of wood were attached to the back using screws.

To light the upper cabinet a hole was drilled through the top and vintage look wire and bulb were hung.

Using one of the cabinets’ shelves, I added a space to store cups. I simply put wood supports on both sides, nailed them on, and laid the shelf directly on them.

I replaced the glass with chicken wire attaching it with a staple gun. This gave the cabinet a farmhouse look. The last steps was to drill a hole for the plug and attach a “Coffee” sign from Hobby Lobby to complete the look.

The finished coffee station is now open for business. I had fun completing this cute Art Deco Coffee Hutch and it makes the coffee taste even better.

Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day

• Margaret

Very cute! Did you leave the Keurig in there? I didn’t read where you made a whole for the wire.

• Ayme Cardwell Zantua

The hitch looks awesome!!! I have a similar hutch that I purchased to turn into a coffee bar. I love this idea! I currently have a smaller coffee area though, and it wouldn’t work for my space. I was thinking of this for a printer station in my office! What do you think?!?

• Ayme Cardwell Zantua

Thanks! We bought our new house at the end of March, and I have had so much fun making it our own. We have a lot of updating to do! The one place I haven’t thought about is my office. I work out of the house half the year (all year with COVID) and I need to do something!!! This hutch you gave new life to is just beautiful! I’m thinking something like that in my office will help me start the room off right! Thank you for sharing :)

• Suzie

This is my favorite!! What Beautiful work!! awesome creativity and TALENT!!! Bravo!!!🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🥂🍾♥️

• Pam Turley Lucido

Beautiful. I’m usually not a big fan of chicken wire but you may have just changed my mind. 😊

• Gary Hardman

Thanks Pam. I’m not a big fan either but wanted to let the coffee breathe...