How to unstop a clogged drain?

+10
  • Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Aug 20, 2020

Pour one cup of fresh baking soda down the drain, followed by one cup of white vinegar. Place a rubber stopper or other sink hole cover over the drain opening. Wait 15 minutes to allow the vinegar and baking soda to unclog your drain, Then take out the drain cover and run hot tap water down the drain to clear the clog.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Aug 20, 2020

Hello I tend to do routine maintenance on my drains particularly the bathroom drains where hair tends to be trapped in the pipes. Using the barbed tools found at the dollar store or even hardware stores often can you remove some disgusting unexpected materials.

• Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Aug 20, 2020

I use Drain-O

• Once it's unclogged you can get a mesh thing that goes over the drain to catch the hair so it doesn't get clogged again

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Aug 20, 2020

Although effective, Draino is my next to the last option. I always check for removable clogs, usually hair (bathroom) or grease/food related (kitchen). I use a hair grabber first, trying to grab what's there, first. If it doesn't work, I try hot water and Dawn dish detergent if I think it's grease. Vinegar and baking soda can dislodge things. I recently had a bathroom sink that just barely drained. No long hair, but, lots of short hair. My husband had shaved off his beard, and I realized some beard hair was clogging the drain along with toothpaste, face wash and soap. The hair grabber couldn't get it, and though it dislodged some of it, with the bubbling from the vinegar and baking soda, not enough. I tried a sink plunger (there are different plungers for different drains). A little improvement, but, very slow. Ran hot water until the stuff I had used was flushed. Then, I used Draino. It worked. To me, Draino is the sledge hammer that I only use if I am hoping not to call a plumber. My husband has been encouraged to not send beard hair down the drain, because it is apparently a clog risk, too. I never pour grease down a drain, and if I wash a greasy pan, I flush the drain with a squirt of Dawn dish detergent and hot water. Prevention is a lot easier than fixing something. Good luck and stay safe!

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Aug 20, 2020

Hi,

Use Drain Unblocker from the store. or use a Plumbers Plunger to try and release it. Best of luck!

• Deb K Deb K on Aug 20, 2020

Hi Jan, here's one way to unclog the drain,

If that does not work, then you can try this

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/plumbing/21164644/how-to-clear-any-clogged-drain

• Dee Dee on Aug 20, 2020

Or buy a snake and clean out the drain. There are snakes that fit in an electric drill that work great and easy to use. Buy it at Home Depot or Lowes

• This is the method I use but i does waste some water. If it is the kitchen sink. I boil lots of pots of water and keep pouring them down the drain. Most kitchen blockage are a build up of fat and grease. Once the water starts to flow again i open the tap and let it run. Baking soda and vinegar is another good go to method.