Front Door Hardware Update With Spray Paint

$10

Our 90's built home has tons of gold hardware. Spray paint is a cheap and easy way to update hardware that's still in good shape, but you don't have the budget to totally replace at the moment.

I wanted to give our front door hardware a new and update look using spray paint, but didn't want to mess with removing everything.

**This was meant to be a quick/temporary fix for me, but if done right, spray paint can extend the life of your hardware for quite some time.**

Keep reading to see which kitchen staple product I used to quickly update the hardware.

Clean / Prep your hardware fixtures

Before spraying, I gave all of the hardware a quick clean with some pre-paint TSP spray cleaner. I also used a fine grit sanding sponge (400) to scuff up the surface a bit.

This will allow the paint to bond better.

Apply Peel and Stick

Next I used Press and Seal Cling Wrap to cover the surfaces surrounding all of the hardware. Extend it out to cover a decent distance surrounding your hardware in order to catch any overspray.

The stickiness of the wrap will all you to form a good bond around the hardware. Using your finger, but sure to press in closely to the edges of the hardware.

Use an exacto knife or blade to trim around any excess cling wrap that might be overlapping onto the hardware for a nice clean edge.

Using your favorite spray paint, paint your hardware using short bursts of paint.

THIN coats is key for a good finish. My hardware took 2-3 thin coats of paint for decent coverage.

Touch up as needed

You can touch up any missed spots by spraying a little spray paint on a piece of cardboard or paper plate, and dabbing a small paint brush or q-tip into it.

This project took me less than 30 minutes, and gave our front porch a fresh updated look!

If you're still not sold on the wonders of spray paint, be sure to check out my linked blog post to see how I transformed this dingy bathroom countertop using a $5 can of appliance spray paint.

Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Jessica | The Martin Nest

• Thea
    Thea

How long has it been and how is it holding up?

• Karen Hyde
    Karen Hyde

Does the paint stay out of the keyhole and where the tongue of the door handle?

• Rebecca
      Rebecca

Bobbie, thank you for your pro advice. I had thought about inserting the key but wasn't sure if that would do it. This way you would not only have a revitalized lockset but a pretty key, too.

• Jeannie.mcquaid
    Jeannie.mcquaid

I don't think i could mask everything off with cling wrap any faster than I could unscrew and remove the door latch set. Spray paint dries very quickly, it would be back in place in about an hour.

• Dgi8836370
    Dgi8836370

Great job! Looks so good!