Asked on Aug 21, 2020

How do I fix this?

Agnes ChrzanowskaKmdreamerMorgan McBride
+17

Right beside my driveway I have a hole that is filled with white rocks. (I can't plant grass there because my car parks over it. However, weeds and crabgrass always pop out. I want to stop that from happening. Please tell me a solution that is not costly.

P.S I tried using a fabric sheet that stops weeds, it did not work or maybe I didnt use it properly...

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Mo, yes some weed barrier or just really think plastic put down in layers under those rocks should do the trick for many years. After that there is always sprays against weeds and I know vinegar works as well but you need to use a lot of it.

• Seth
    Seth

Mo,

New weeds will grow down into your rock and fabric. Even if you use plastic like Grandma suggested, you will still have to occasionally pull or spray whatever grows there, but it will be easy as the roots don't really have anything to grab onto.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Mo, you definitely want to put a sheet or something down, that will involve removing the rock from the spot, try putting a 50/50 vinegar water mix down to sterilize the ground and kill any existing weeds, and use a heavy gauge landscape fabric, or heavy cardboard, or several layers of newspaper to make a barrier, put the rocks back on top of the fabric/cardboard. You may have to do a spot treatment once in a while to keep weeds at bay as you know they grow incredibly well! Hope this helps you out

• Dee
    Dee

I use newspaper under mulch to keep weeds away. Try putting newspaper under the rock, and I would also put a layer of epsom salt, since you do not want anything to grow there.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. You might consider putting cardboard and mulch down. That is stopped all vegetation in our beds.

• Peggy L Burnette
    Peggy L Burnette

Hi Mo, hope the salt solves your wee problem. Good luck

Rock Salt Used as a Weed Killer - Rivar Sand and Gravel

www.rivarsandandgravel.co.uk › news › rock-salt-an-al...

Normally, Rock salt finds itself being sprinkled on roads, drive and walkways before or after frost and snowfall however ... It will kill any weeds or grass growing there, and keep them away for years. ... Apply to crabgrass and broadleaf weeds.

• Janice
    Janice

Pour white vinegar all over the area, it will kill on weeds and grass. Reapply as needed. It is relatively inexpensive. To make it even more potent mix 1 gallon white vinegar and 1/2 to 1 cup of table salt together well and pour it onto the area.

• Unique Creations By Anita
    Unique Creations By Anita

You can put some weed killer down then add old newspaper. Then put the stones back ontop.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! Maybe fill it in with something more permanent like concrete? Good luck and stay safe!

• I would dig out all of the stone and weeds. Lay down landscape plastic and cover with decorative stone. We did this along one side of our house foundation and it looks great. Once in a while a weed tops out of the edge, but I spray it with vinegar and salt and that's the end of it.

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes

If the salt/vinegar isn’t working, bleach spray will. Bleach will kill adjacent plants, so be careful in overspray.

Betsy

Hi Mo: I don't care for the fabric sheets. The only thing they are good for is if you are recovering a chair and you use it as the dust cover on the bottom. The fabric sheets keep weeds from popping up from the bottom, but the dirt on top will welcome them:)

Here's what I use and it works great for me:

Homemade Weed Killer:

The recipe I use is:

1 gallon of white vinegar

2 cups of Epsom salts

1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.

Mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy, sort of swirl it around.

Put in a spray bottle and spray the weeds liberally, in the morning after the dew has gone. Then, by evening the weeds should be dead or on their way out. Don't spray anything you want to keep or it will die too. I have used this and it works quite well. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes. Good luck

WEED KILLER WITH DAWN

1 gallon white vinegar

1 cup of salt

1 Tbsp liquid Dawn

Combine ingredients and put into a spray bottle and spray the weeds at the sunniest time of day.

This mix is very effective so make sure it doesn’t spray on something you DON’T want to kill.

Good luck

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

Landscape fabric keeps weeds already in the ground from coming up. Most of your weeds are growing above the fabric as seeds blow in. Kill the weeds by spraying on white vinegar.

• Annie
    Annie

Try this weed killer recipe, You can make it yourself. You may have to spray more than once but it does work

https://countrylivinginacariboovalley.com/homemade-poison-ivy-and-weed-killer-that-really-works/

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

We had the same problem and hand pulling the weeds was a nightmare. I dumped weed killer on it but it's a constant issue.

• Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer

Wrake the rocks out wrak the dirt plant grass keep watering for 2 weeks it will grow even if you walk on it keep watering it everyday.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

I would put paper and mulch to stop weeds growing