Easy DIY Poster Frame

$2

I have a fun project for you today though. We were lucky enough to receive a Mapiful for our new home! When it arrived I new just what I wanted to use to hang it.

I headed to Amazon and got my search on just to realize that I could probably make my own! Lol, typical me! Of course, my honey helped me too!

This project was FREE for us to make, but it would still be very inexpensive to make even if you didn't already have everything on hand.

CUTTING THE WOOD PIECES

Step one: Cut two pieces of scrap wood to measure 22" x 1". This is your top pieces.

Step two: Cut two pieces of scrap wood to measure 19" x 1". This is your bottom pieces.

SANDING THE WOOD PIECES

Step 3: Sand all four pieces with 120 grit sand paper on all sides until smooth.

STAINING THE WOOD PIECES

Step 4: Stain all four pieces of wood in the color of your choice. I chose Mahogany stain.

Be sure to wear gloves and use an old rag to apply the stain. I apply with one corner and wipe off excess with another corner of the rag. I let these set under a ceiling fan for about 45 minutes before I handled them. I did not seal the stained wood, but you can if you want to.

Now that the pieces of wood are dry and ready to handle, I started my assembly.

NOTE: The 22 inch pieces go at the top and the 19 inch pieces go at the bottom.

SECURE THE POSTER TO THE WOOD

Step 5: To hold the poster in place on the pieces of wood, I used a few staples along the edge.

I stapled both top and bottom of the poster to the wood, but in hindsight I would just do one end at a time for easier handling.

WRAPPING THE TWINE

{Sorry I don't have a picture of this step, but it was just me here at the time I was doing this project.}

Step 6: Stack the wood pieces together and wrap with twine on each end. I wrapped the twine about 15 to 20 times on the top pieces but only about 5 times on the bottom pieces. I added a doubled, extra long piece for hanging to the top piece.

NOTE: I used a small dollop of hot glue on each end of the wood to hold them together while I wrapped the twine.

This is the bottom pieces. After I wrapped and tied my knots, I left long pieces of the twine showing just because I liked how it looked, of course this is optional according to your taste! Trim them off if you like!

I love how it looks with our Mapiful!  I originally hung it over the fireplace, but then I changed my mind and hung Audrey back there! Pop over to my Instagram to check out Audrey! I changed my IG account name too!  @TexasBlueBungalow

We decided that this was the perfect map for our new home because our beautiful 1922 Blue Bungalow is located here and we both love it!

I hope you've enjoyed my project today! You can use any poster or print out you may want to hang. You can even adjust the lengths of the pieces of wood too!

I also painted the fireplace recently too, I'll tell you about that later on.

More details and pictures on our blog if you're interested! Thanks for looking! :)

31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
DeeDee

• Carol Lacey

Great idea but I have 2 questions:

1. Other than preference why are the top and bottom pieces of wood different lengths
    2. Same with the rope/twine. For consistency, why not wrap the top and bottom the same?

Thank you for posting. This is an awesome idea!

• DeeDee

Hi Carol! Thank you! It’s just my preference, you can certainly make them the same on both ends! :)

• Gail

I know Weatherford, Texas. Where did you get that map???

• DeeDee

Hi Gail! From Mapiful.com. The link is on my blog. :)

• Maude LaFountain

I have Family that live in Weatherford Texas ....My 2 older sisters lived there for years out in Western Lakes Estates.....Both of them have passed on ..one last year in Feb...and the other this past Feb,,,, I went to visit them a lot since I live just about an hour away just south of Rio Vista .....I like that you did a good job on that ...where did you get the MAPIFUL from ?......

• DeeDee

Hi Maude! Thank you so much! I got it from Mapiful.com

The link is in my blog. :)