From Dark to Blonde

$50

I purchased this chest of drawers on my local Facebook marketplace and knew It right away that wanted to make it a bit lighter. So I started sanding it!

Sand it down

Before

I started sanding the drawers first because I wanted to see what kind of wood is underneath the dark varnish. started sanding with 120/180/220/320 sandpaper grit

Wood filler for imperfections

after sanding the drawers I saw that it was a lighter wood underneath. Almost white! So I knew i wanted to leave it as is or white wash it a bit. It had a couple of imperfections that because clear once it was all sanded down. I used wood filler for that and once it was dry I sanded those down as well.

Add new legs

all sanded down

I needed this chest of drawers to be a certain height so I took off the old legs and added 10 inch gold hairpin legs this made it 35 inches tall. Exactly what it needed. Hairpin legs were purchased from Amazon.

Wood filler

The wood filler was sanded down but as you can see it's a different color. You can either paint it and try to match it to the original wood color or just paint the dresser. It seemed most of the imperfections were towards the bottom of the dresser so I wanted to leave the top natural and paint the bottom

paint

Paint

I used painters tape for delicate surfaces to mark the bottom of the dresser which i painted white. For this is used Valspar furniture and cabinet paint which can be purchased at Lowe's. This is after the first coat. I applied 2-3 coats.

I also painted the drawers but wanted to leave the pulls raw wood, so i used the same painters tape to cover those areas

All finished

If you like this transformation follow me on Instagram @andreapalmai where you can see real time process and tips!

Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes

• Gail

Where did you get the 4 sets of wheels you have under the piece to move it with. Are they a type of moving wheel or did you create them. Need to know???!!!!

• Bourbonwife

what are those wheelie things you have the legs sitting in? i like those as much as your final outcome of the dresser.

• Kverbanic

Referred to as leg dollies, tri-dolly, or 3 wheel dolly.

• Rosalie Racine

I love it. Very beautiful.

• Jgurl

you did an amazing job this is one of my favorite make overs I have seen yet I have a large vintage cabinet I'm going to apply your technique and then post and give you the credit I've been looking for a vintage piece for a room I've just made over now I have the piece and with this technique it will be amazing thank you for the idea