Miniature Fall Pine Cone Tree

$5

This tree can be created using mini pine cones, hot glue, and a styrofoam cone base. Carefully attach the pine cones and you will have a fall decoration for years to come. Decorate it seasonally like I do, and enjoy it for more than just Autumn!

Step One: Collect Small Pine Cones

My husband and I helped a neighbor cut down an evergreen tree that was growing into the gutter on her roof. When we cleaned up the tree branches, all these cute little pine cones were laying on the ground, just begging to be collected. So I gathered them into a box.

Step Two (optional): Wash the Pine Cones

Later I washed my pine cones and let them dry out. (Lay them all out in a single layer to dry) Tip: Don't be alarmed when your pine cones close up when you wash them. That's just what they do. They will open back up as they dry out!

You can see that my pine cones are about two inches long. It doesn't matter what size your small pine cones are-- they will just give a slightly different shape to your pine cone tree.

Step 3: Wrap Brown Paper around a Styrofoam cone and Start Gluing

I didn't want the white styrofoam to show through, so I taped on a brown piece of construction paper to my 12 inch tall styrofoam cone base. Then I began hot gluing pine cones to it, starting at the top and working my way down. I put them on in rows, angling the pine cones slightly because they "nestled in" and fit better that way.

This is what my finished pine cone tree looks like from the top. My project only cost about $5 for the cone-- the rest was free! (Well, I suppose you might need to purchase hot glue sticks for your glue gun...)

This is the view of my pine cone tree from the front. It may have taken me around 45 minutes to glue all of the pine cones on-- depending on how quickly you work it might take you between 30 minutes to an hour.

This project was pretty easy to do. I would say it would be great for a beginner.

AFTER!!

My Miniature Pine Cone Tree turned out just as I hoped! I did add something more to it, though....

Step 4: Make Decorations

If you wish, you can add decorations to your miniature tree. I had some metallic confetti in the shape of leaves on hand.

I hot glued the confetti to toothpicks so that I could poke them into the stryofoam between the pine cones.

Step 5: Add a Topper

I used a real maple leaf necklace for my topper. (The necklace chain is behind the tree where you cannot see it.)

AFTER, Again!

Here is the Miniature Pine Cone Tree all decked out for Fall. I just love how my pine cone tree turned out. I have used it alot in my decor.... I have a goal to decorate it 100 different ways, and so far I've only done about 16 different versions.... I hope you have enjoyed this Miniature Pine Cone Tree tutorial!

***I also have lots of  Christmas inspiration at my blog B4 and Afters where I write about frugal, practical projects for women who like to make things for their home or for others. If that is you I would love to see you over there  ***

Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Liberty Brammer

• Nancy Peterman

I tried making little gift tags last year with pine cones and acorns, using a hot glue gun. They kept falling off. Did you use a lot of glue? Or am I just inept?

• Necee Marie

I’ve got pine cones outside just sitting. Now I’ve. Got something to do with them! Thank you for the idea!

• This is really cute. I like your idea of using the shaped confetti. I made a similar tree years ago for my mom. I used to have a big pine tree in my yard and collected cones fallen from the tree. My mom sewed a LOT. I used a 12 inch styrofoam cone and kind of screwed/glued the cones into it. I wish I'd thought of wrapping it in paper first--hot glue melts the foam a little. But, they stayed in place. I spray painted it white. I used a real tape measure for garland and also a tape measure ribbon. Ornaments were sewing miniatures and buttons. The angel at the top is wood thimble I painted and embellished (Mom also collected thimbles). I made this angel the year before I made the tree, but once when I was visiting, and we were in her sewing room talking, I swiped the angel off of her thimble shelf. She didn't notice. This was her birthday gift, but her birthday was Dec. 25. When she opened it, she asked why I didn't I ask her for some her smaller sewing ornaments, and I told her, "Well, I already stole your angel," then she said, "A-ah! You little thief!" We had a good laugh and she loved this tree. She added some of her other sewing embellishments later. We lost Mom in 2011, but my older sister has this tree, and it's still holding up. My sister sews and I don't--I'm an artist, so the base of this is one of those paper mache round boxes I painted and stuck a wind-up music box inside.