Simple DIY Planter Box

$40

We had a lot of leftover wood from when we built our deck, and I was looking for something to do with it. Being that I'm always thinking of ways to up our curb appeal, I decided to build some planters for our garage. I have two different tutorials on this because I made the two planters a little differently. This tutorial is for the basic planter, nothing special and very easy to do. The other planter I used to hide our hose, so it was a bit more involved.

What I used:

2x8s

2x4s

5/4 in. x 6 in deck boards

2.5 inch screws

Paint

If I were to do this again (and buy the material) I would use lighter wood. All of those pressure treated 2x8s added up and my end result was very heavy. Not a big issue, since they won't be moved very often, but definitely something to keep in mind. Again, because I used all materials leftover from our deck and didn't want to spend any additional money, I just went with it.

Step 1: Design and plan

Using what I had on hand, I decided to make my planters 17 inches wide with 2.5 inch feet.

Step 2: Cut material

I used a miter saw to cut my materials. I cut 12 pieces of 2x8 to 17 inches each, and I cut 2 pieces of 2x4 to 24 inches each.

Step 3: Assemble side panels

I laid out three 2x8 pieces and connected them with my 2x4s, leaving that 2.5 inch overhang at the bottom for the feet. I used cardboard to help space my 2x8s, but you don't need to do this - I just liked how it looked with a little space. I connected these using leftover 2.5inch decking screws, and repeated this process two times - one for each side.

Step 4: Connect front and back

Next, I connected the 2x8s for the front and back using the same decking screws.

Step 5: Create base

First I added scrap 2x8s to the front and back panels to support the base. I positioned mine to that the planter would be 10 inches deep, but you can go as far down as you want.

Next, I measured the interior of the planter and cut pieces of decking to fit inside. I notched out the corners to account for the 2x4s, and then laid a filler strip down the middle to make a solid platform.

Step 6: Paint/stain (optional)

I decide to paint mine black to match other accents outside of our home. This step is of course optional. Once the paint was dry, I added some plants and marveled at my work!

My biggest complaint with these is how heavy they are. Again, for a free project I can't complain, but if I were to purchase materials to do this again, I might go with something more lightweight. I'm excited to put some mums in these as we move into fall, but for now they will house these little topiaries.

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers

• Luy48977582

Is ok to change other type woods ?

• Sure! Pressure treated is ideal for outdoors because its treated to withstand conditions where untreated wood may rot (basically, it holds up to the elements better). Doesn’t mean you CANT use other wood- just may not stand the test of time as well, especially if left uncovered outdoors. If you have a covered porch or something though, non-pressure treated wood would be fine!

• Mary Russell

The blurb leading to this post read'they used scrap wood to create----'which brought back memories of an older person I used to work with.When potential 'clients'would come into the shop asking about getting some of our 'scrap'wood,he would say'the only scrap wood we have around here is called splinters that aren't much good by the time we dig them out of our skin'.Ha,good memory.

• Aimee

They look great!