Repurposed $5.00 Television Stand From Auction

$50

My husband and I love visiting our local auction house. It is a date night we both look forward too. With his crazy schedule (police officer schedule), we must enjoy every minute we can get together. Not to mention, it’s the perfect place to find pieces to repurpose. Here is the story of how to repurpose a $5.00 television stand.

It was a black television console cabinet. It wasn’t in bad shape. The door just needed a new hinge. It also had bun feet! Score! Anyways, the top was scratched beyond repair. The piece was not real wood, so I knew I could not do a lot of sanding to remove the scratches. But that’s okay, it was still workable.

I waited patiently for the Auctioneer to make his way to the isle. There did not seem to be anyone else interested in the cabinet, which was a plus for me. I had agreed with myself that I would go no higher than $20.00. The bidding started at $5.00. I raised my bidder’s card, waiting to see if anyone would dare outbid me. To my surprise, no one did! Five bucks! I was super excited! You can see all our goodies we won over on my blog (christinafayerepurposed.com).

Next came the color choices. I wanted to give the bench a farmhouse vibe. Therefore, I did not want bright colors. After scanning the colors on Pinterest (my favorite place for inspiration) I found one I really liked! The color was called Glacier and it was made by FolkArt. It was chalk paint, which was a plus because I knew that I could not do a lot of sanding.

My husband started adding the new top directly onto the top of the cabinet. While he was doing this, I removed the doors, the glass in the doors, and the hardware.

He also replaced the sides and bottom pieces.

I gave the piece a light sanding with Gator 220 grit sandpaper. Just enough to scuff it up so that the paint would adhere better. After, I wiped the piece down with tacky paper to remove any dust that was left from sanding. I then gave it a good cleaning with vinegar and water.

The stain I chose was Dark Walnut by Minwax for the wood. It is my favorite color stain! I gave all the new wood a coat of stain using a cheap bristle brush to get in all the nook and crannies, wiping off any excess with a lint-free cloth. 

I painted two light coats of the chalk paint, allowing a 24-hour drying period between coats. I know that seems like a long time, but I have found that it gives the piece a more durable finish. Remember, two light coats are better than one thick coat. 

After the paint and stain were completely dry, I felt it was, well, too blue. I decided to apply an antique glaze to give it an old feel and tone down the blue.

We then attached the beadboard back. 

We used chicken wire (this is what we call it in Georgia, I know it has many different names) for the doors instead of glass.

I purchased two knobs from D. Lawless Hardware. I love this company! Their hardware is affordable, and they have a superb selection! 

And here she is! Can you believe the difference? 

26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Christina Faye Repurposed

• Jody Price

Question? What do you do with all the glass you remove and replace with chicken wire?

• Maude LaFountain

WOW !!! That turned out awesome I love it ...I found a dresser that someone was throwing away I picked it up took it home and made me a Bar out of it for my Party Barn ....It turned out pretty good ...I love the chicken wire for the doors ...great job you guys did on it ....

• RC Leach

Wow, very nice! We call it chicken wire here too! That blue is beautiful, but I can see why you said it was "too blue". If the colors are true to life in this tutorial, it's much deeper blue than it looks in the bottle. Anyway, good job! Also, please thank your husband for being a police officer, for me!