Air Dry Clay Candle + Match Holder

$2

This is a fun DIY that adds one of a kind style to your space! I used air dry clay to create a little tray that holds a candle and matches, complete with a strike plate! Here's how!

The supplies are really simple for this DIY. You really only need air dry clay and your hands! A rolling pin and knife can make it easier though!

Create the Base

Start by rolling or patting out your clay to your desired thickness.

Cut Your Shape

Use a knife or form the clay into the shape you want your tray to be. In this case I wanted a nice long oval shape.

Roll Out the Match Holder Rim

Break out your play doh snake making skills and roll out a long thin piece to create the rim of your match holder and strike plate section of the tray.

Smooth it Out

Use water to bring the clay together, form it, and smooth it out.

Create the Match Holder

Roll out a long rectangular piece of clay and roll it around a small cylindrical object to form the match holder. Use water to seal the seam.

Attach the Match Holder

Attach the match holder piece to the base using water to bring the clay together and smooth it out.

OPTIONAL: Paint or Decorate

This is where you can get creative to make your piece unique. I sprinkled pepper into the clay when I was rolling it out to give it a designer tough. Pink salt, peppercorns, or paint would all make excellent options!

OPTIONAL: Add A Strike Plate

Create a built in strike plate using sandpaper or striking paper cut to fit around the match holder. You will probably need to use strike anywhere matches for this!

Done!

See more photos and home inspiration at my blog The Barn Collective and follow me to get the play-by-play on my Instagram here! I also start all of my projects over at Pinterest here!

How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized

• Wendy Matchett

As a preschool teacher, I must say that please be sure to keep matches where no child can get to them. This is a lovely project, but please consider safety first.

• Lauren

Thank you for your concern Wendy. We teach our girls safety in all ways.

• Maude LaFountain

Sweet I love it !!...And if you could figure out a way to make the match holder taller you can make one for those extra long matches to light the Fireplace with or the Charcoal Grill with ...I think maybe use a tube from a roll of Paper Towels would work if you can maybe roll some Cling wrap around the Paper Towel Tune then roll your Clay around that so you could possibly get the tube out of the center or maybe even just leave it in ...Worth a try ....Thanks for Sharing I love this Idea ....

• NancyMaria

Take the clay and cut a very large triangle and roll/fold into a cone, add a hole for hanging and it would work great for long fireplace matches looking like a flower boquet.