How do you fix a missing piece of veneer before painting?

+21

i am painting a table that has a piece if veneer missing. I have used bondo to fill spot. I have sanded and primed and painted and spot still shows through. What else can I do?

• Dee Dee on Aug 25, 2020

You need to put a bonding, stain blocking primer on the piece. Then lightly sand. When completely dry you can paint. You will probably have to use at least 2-3 coats of paint

• Recreated Designs Recreated Designs on Aug 25, 2020

Hi Harriett, Here is how I do it. Hope it helps... https://www.recreateddesigns.com/2016/03/fixing-veneer-easy-way/

• Mogie Mogie on Aug 25, 2020

I would try a wood filler product (as described above) to level out the missing pieces of veneer. Remember this is a band-aid, not a total re-furb. Patch the "holes" and sand them level with the original surface. You're going to need fine grit sandpaper - at least 220 as mentioned by William and you might even move to a higher number grit depending on what the original surface is like. Most of these fillers take the stain a few shades darker that the wood - so be aware of that.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Aug 25, 2020

I would use an oil based primer, something that is specific for stain blocking. I would check the rustoleum brand for this. After that repaint etc.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Aug 25, 2020

Hello. Some will wood filler‘s are stainable. I am not sure any repair product will be a perfect match though. I filled a missing veneer damage spot and had to use stain markers and wax crayons to try to disguise.

• Nan W. Nan W. on Aug 25, 2020

Harriet: you may be better off simply sanding a painting. Chalk paint is fashionable and easy to use.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Aug 25, 2020

Hi! Veneer or any kind of wood is hard to match. Sometimes, you need to go darker with your stain, or use a gel stain, which is more opaque and doesn't have to soak in like regular stain. Some wood replacement never matches no matter how you play with it. Paint can be used to give you a wood appearance and the color should be more even, especially if you prime the entire surface after prepping it. Good luck and stay safe!

• K. Rupp K. Rupp on Aug 26, 2020

Hi Harriet, I would sand the top down again. Check out the Bondo application? Is it completely smooth with the rest of the top. Even sometimes the slightest dent where it wasn't COMPLETELY smooth will show through even more with paint. I would do it again if it has any pits or dents right in that spot. If it is a different color that is bleeding through in that spot ..... Yes, you will need to use a good primer before painting.

If the spot is more than small and you want to start over completely on the top, check out my post on how to remove veneer easier.

https://www.hometalk.com/39748381/how-to-remove-wood-veneer-easier

or for more details....here is the blogpost:

https://karupp-did.net/fetor-to-fetching/

I would only do that though if it is peeling in multiple spots and it is a larger area. Good luck! Redoing old work is a pain but worth it sometimes.

• See 2 previous
    • Harriett Ellenburg Harriett Ellenburg on Aug 28, 2020

Thanks, maybe it didn't cure long enough.

• Peggy L Burnette Peggy L Burnette on Aug 26, 2020

Hi this is Peggy. I hope this helps you fix your table. Fill in the missing patch with wood filler

Using your wood filler of choice, fill the space where the veneer is missing. Try to get the wood filler as flat and clean around the edges as possible. Once it's dry, use your medium grit sandpaper (I used 180) to sand the filler level with the surrounding veneer.May 13, 2015

How to Repair Veneer When You DON'T Want to Paint It ...

anastasiavintage.com › 2015/05 › reparing-veneer-dont...

• Is it the Bondo that's still showing through or the repair? A good primer should take care of the Bondo color but if it's the repair, you'll either need to redo that or replace the veneer.