Wood Bleached Cabinet

$40
1 Day

When I saw this piece pop up on Facebook Marketplace I knew I had to have it. Guess how much they listed it for? $25!!! What?!

I had no idea where I was going to put this but I have never seen a piece quite like this before so even if I couldn’t find a place for it I could just make it over for a nice profit right?

Well I kept it, and found the perfect place for it and..did something I have never done before..I bleached it!

Before bleaching I took my palm sander to it to get most of the stain off. I didn’t feel like using stripper since the sander seemed to be working pretty well.

Once I had the whole thing sanded to my liking, I loved the raw wood but it was still slightly orangey to me so I was hoping the bleach would help tone that down.

I worked outside and put on my gloves and poured a little bleach on a clean rag and wiped it on. I did the whole piece and let it sit for about 20 mins and then put another coat on. Let that sit for another 20 mins and added another coat and let that sit overnight.

In the morning I was so happy with the results! Since I didn’t need another coat I wiped the whole piece down with water and moved it inside. It fit right in our sunroom. It matches our driftwood and vibe of the whole room.

With the hardware this piece comes in at a whopping $40!

Have you ever tried bleaching wood before?

I have the whole process saved in my Instagram Highlights here if you want to follow me and check them out here!

Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
Everything Red For Canada Day
Tara Boettger

• Mammaw

I was just curious does it dry the wood out too bad how do you rehydrate the wood after you bleach it

• Giselle

I love the finished look but I too am wondering if the wood needs to be treated with oil or a sealing coat so the wood doesn’t dry out and crack. Are you planning on using anything to prevent this from happening? It is so beautiful I am sure you want it to last!

• Laura

This is a great idea. I have 2 cabinets I want to refinish. I’m 72, live in a small apartment & can’t be moving the furniture to my very small patio. I’m going to try this on a very small piece of finished wood & see if I can take off the finish & then paint them. Thanks for the great idea.

• Joanie
    6 minutes ago

This is a beautiful piece of furniture. I really like it!! My M. I. Law did a few pieces as you did with this. She would use Tung oil when finished, to preserve the wood.