Wood Bleached Cabinet

$40
1 Day

When I saw this piece pop up on Facebook Marketplace I knew I had to have it. Guess how much they listed it for? $25!!! What?!

I had no idea where I was going to put this but I have never seen a piece quite like this before so even if I couldn’t find a place for it I could just make it over for a nice profit right?

Well I kept it, and found the perfect place for it and..did something I have never done before..I bleached it!

Before bleaching I took my palm sander to it to get most of the stain off. I didn’t feel like using stripper since the sander seemed to be working pretty well.

Once I had the whole thing sanded to my liking, I loved the raw wood but it was still slightly orangey to me so I was hoping the bleach would help tone that down.

I worked outside and put on my gloves and poured a little bleach on a clean rag and wiped it on. I did the whole piece and let it sit for about 20 mins and then put another coat on. Let that sit for another 20 mins and added another coat and let that sit overnight.

In the morning I was so happy with the results! Since I didn’t need another coat I wiped the whole piece down with water and moved it inside. It fit right in our sunroom. It matches our driftwood and vibe of the whole room.

With the hardware this piece comes in at a whopping $40!

Have you ever tried bleaching wood before?

I have the whole process saved in my Instagram Highlights here if you want to follow me and check them out here!

Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Tara Boettger

• Giselle
    Giselle

I love the finished look but I too am wondering if the wood needs to be treated with oil or a sealing coat so the wood doesn’t dry out and crack. Are you planning on using anything to prevent this from happening? It is so beautiful I am sure you want it to last!

• Heather Gaston
    Heather Gaston

So you let it sit overnight 2 nights before it was finished?

• Christina Warrington
    Christina Warrington

These look great, but no one answers the questions about whether you need to treat the wood since it’s raw, to ensure it doesn’t dry out. Also I’d think if something darker spilled on it, the wood would absorb the color as it’s not sealed. Anyone have some answers?!

• Deb J
      Deb J

Minwax makes a Paste Wax. I’ve used it on raw wood before with good results. It leaves a slight sheen and a nice protective finish once buffed out.

Never bleached wood but I’m going to give it a try on a small wood shelf I have. If it goes well, I will do a larger table that is just sitting in my garage waiting for inspiration.