DIY Waterfall Chandelier

$40

I took my dated light fixture and stripped it down for a $40 transformation. The upgrade took it from the early 2000s to trendy now!

How it all began.

I couldn’t look at this fixture another day it had to be upgraded.

Bare bones

First it took off all of the old glass and ... well, tossed it. I found these cylinders on FB marketplace for $10. Kind of lucky here but you can also find them on amazon.

Creating the bottom shade

I got a wreath form from the dollar tree and snipped it down With wire snips to just a circle to use as a frame.

The spool of chain is from amazon and you can basically get any color that you want.

Now the tedious part. I cut each chain the length I wanted as it drapes over the wreath frame.

Chain length

Drape the chain over to make sure it’s the length you want and use this chain as a guide as you cut the rest.

Secure the chain

I worked in sections after I had a bunch of chain cut. Slide hot glue in about 1-2 inch sections and hang the chain on the wet glue... works pretty quick at this point.

I held it up to the light fixture to make sure it’s the length I want and it was all even.

Paint the skeleton

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

clean and scuff up the frame of the fixture. I used 80 grit sand paper to scuff it. Then prime and paint the color that you want! I used Rust O leum in dark bronze spray paint.

Secure the shade

I’m using floral wire from the dollar tree. Wrap the wire through the frame a couple of times and twist and tie to secure it in place nice and tight.

For the initial attachment point I used a soup can to prop up the frame so I could work with two hands.

I added some paint touch ups because the wire was blue.

Final look!

All lit up and fabulous!

Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen

To see more: //instagram.com/discoverydecor

• Teg

How did you spray paint your chandelier without getting paint everywhere?

• Amanda

I took it down off of the ceiling with the help of my husband.

I put painters tarp down in my driveway... typically when I spray paint, I allow for 3-4 feet for overspray. If the can is shaken enough then I haven't had an issue with spray paint.

• Anna
    4 hours ago

I love what you did to it!! It is outstanding!! So many of the projects look cheap & tacky when completed, but this looks very high end!! Great job!! Where did you get the idea for the chain for the "water fall" ? it looks stunning!!

• Anna
      34 minutes ago

Amanda, Yes! That is an excellent idea!! I love the cylinder globes as well. It is not my style, but I love the transformation! And I know exactly what you mean when you said "I couldn't look at it another day!!" I live in a 1930's Alabama farmhouse & I try to keep things from about that period. And, money is defiantly an object at our house! You took something that was ugly & made it beautiful!! Well done!! I will keep looking for more of your posts!!

• Denise

The base looks two-tone. Did you only use one color spray paint or two?

(great transformation).

• Amanda

The final finish is all one color. Must be the shadow on the pic... it's hard to get a good photo of a lit light

I did use a neutral primer... I was still deciding if I wanted a black, beige, or gunmetal finish. Ended up with Dark Bronze.

• Dpbeee2
    5 hours ago

Oh yes!!!!! Really nice.