Asked on Aug 27, 2020

Particle board repair

Agnes ChrzanowskaLifestyles HomesJohnavallance82
+11

Am I able to repair this cabinet made from particle board. I was moving when it fell and broke apart.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

It won’t look seamless but you may be able to fix it with some new boards over the break.

• Cheryl A

Hi Corey

Here are some ideas to help with repairs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHhZ2HPEwzM

• Recreated Designs

Hi Corey, You can repair it if you are able to get to the underside of the particle board. You can use some little metal plates (very inexpensive at hardware stores) that have a hole at each end. They would hold the two pieces together. You may want to consider filling the crack after attaching them together with wood filler and painting the piece so that you don't notice the repair.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi there, I would definitely consider painting it once you fix the break. I would look for steel brackets. They come in a number of different sizes and can offer a ton of support, hopefully you can put them on on the inside so they're pretty well hidden. Than you can fill the breaks with wood putty, do a little sanding and paint.

• Unique Creations By Anita

pocket hole joint and some brackets should work. You can buy the mini keg pocket hole jig if you don't want to but the big one.

• Debi53

I agree with using the metal L-brackets, but also use glue on the edges of both pieces and then screw in the L-brackets. Wipe off any glue that squeezes out with a damp cloth. When it's dry, use liquid sandpaper to make the surface "tacky", use a bonding primer, and then paint.

• Mogie

If you glued some plywood pieces on the back that could help strengthen it they make flat brackets that would allow you to adhere the plywood and add strength to the unit as well.

• Dee

After you repair the wood, from the excellent advice about, Sand and prime with a good stain blocking primer. Use a sprayer or mohair rollers and paint the piece it will be gorgeous

• Kmdreamer

You could glue it then paint it

• Johnavallance82

Hi there,

Yes It can be saved! Make a feature of the repair . Treat that area once repaired

to look as if it was designed to look that way, by adding either trim or colour elsewhere too. The best hiding place is always "In Clear Sight"

• Lifestyles Homes

Wood glue and make sure the joint is pressed together while it’s drying. Maybe keep it pushed tight against the wall, with concrete blocks while it’s drying 24 hours.

Then the flat plates being very careful to use the right screw length.

Do not sand the thin plastic wood grain film, as it can tear at the micro level and any water based paint you put on it will make the particle board “mushroom” and then it’s ruined.

I would wipe it down with acetone and then either spray paint it or put a layer of contact paper on it.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would reinforce with piece of wood on the inside and paint crack on the outside