Pink Antique Dresser?? Indeed and Oh So Pretty

$50

I am a huge antique fan so when I find one I usually scoop it up. When I posted it on my Facebook business page as stock to paint it was quickly called by a great customer and she wanted it pink! What the customer wants the customer gets but I did have some suggestions along the way. Lets see how I achieved her vision.

Antique dresser in need of love

Here is the little dresser begging for an update. As you can see somewhere along the way it was clear coated but the paint job was terrible with drips and runs everywhere and lots of wear and tear.

Power sand the drawer fronts?

The hardware had been removed and it was time to address the drawer fronts. Rather then painting them the pink I suggested we stain them like the planned top for a two tone look and the customer was game. I started with my orbital sander to remove that built up layers of shellac and previous stains and clear coats. But this did not go as easily as I hoped so I resorted to my carbide scraper.

Back to bare wood

All 3 drawers were scraped clean then power sanded smooth.

Power sanded

The dresser was hauled outside and power sanded after being scraped with the carbide scraper on the body and the top stripped with paint stripper.

Body painted
Now on to the painting of the dresser body.   Jolie Paint in rose quartz was chosen. Here it is going on.

This is the last of the tester size paint pot, can you believe it painted 4 jewelry boxes as well as this dresser? You can find them on my blog if you want to see them.

Waxed in clear and brown waxes

Using Jolie's  fabulous wax brush, I sealed the paint with  Jolie's clear wax. It is so smooth and easy to apply. Once it is applied I lightly wipe any excess off with a soft lift-free cloth. Then brown wax was added to keep an antique feel.

Top and drawer fronts were stained

The dresser top and drawer fronts were stained using My favorite dark brown stain is Homestead House / Fusion Stain Oil Finish . It is easily wiped on and the excess wiped off. I put on 2 coats of cappuccino and 2 of natural . I had some vintage knobs in my stash I added and this beauty is complete.

Complete

The customer was thrilled with the results and I too think it is a lovely soft antiqued pink perfect for this young ladies home. There are many more details, videos etc for this project linked below or

Pop over to my blog for more free home decor and furniture tutorials. Be sure to subscribe if you like what you see to get all my tutorials delivered to your inbox!

These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Creative Moments

• Ellen
    Ellen

I’m a real novice, but I’ve only ever used 1or maybe 2 coats of a stain. Does it really change that much as you use 4? Can you see the natural change anything after the darker cappuccino?

• GMS
      GMS

so much easier to dust and clean when tops are wood, I have redone a few pieces myself that were painted, and I stripped the paint off the top to bring the natural wood back. I have a hard time making myself paint great wood pieces, but she did do a great job on this, looks nice