Microwaveable Neck Wrap With Buckwheat Hulls and Lavender

$12

This tutorial shows how to make a DIY Heated Neck Wrap filled with buckwheat and lavender. Not only is this neck wrap microwaveable, but it can also be kept in the freezer for a cold neck or shoulder wrap as necessary. The addition of lavender makes this DIY heat pack all the more relaxing

For my 8″ by 25″ microwavable neck wrap I used the following:

• 1/4 yd Soft N Comfy Minky Fabric from JoAnn’s Fabric
  • 1/4 yd knit cotton, like t-shirt material.  I found it more economical to buy XXL t-shirts at the crafts store. One XXL t-shirt will make 2 8″ X 25″ neck wraps
  •   21-ounces of organic buckwheat hulls. I bought this 5lb bag and have made 4 heating pads from the bag.

How To Make A DIY Heat Pack For Shoulders & Neck:

• Cut fabric for the interior pillow: 9″ by 26″ (finished dimensions plus 1″ added to length and width)
  • Sew 2 long sides and 1 short end of the interior pillow
  • Turn right side out
  • Fill the interior ‘pillow’ with buckwheat hulls based on the chart above. For my 8″ x 25″=200 Total Square Inches/9.5 = 21 ounces of Buckwheat Hulls)
  • Optional) Add dried lavender for an Aromatherapy Heat Pack
  • Sew the open end of the heat pack closed
  • Divide the buckwheat hulls in half within the buckwheat heating pad by weighing each half of the pillow and moving the hulls from one side to the other until equally divided. Use your scale to weigh each half to get the hulls equally distributed.
  • Mark the halfway point of the ‘pillow’, with half of the hulls on each side, and sew a seam down the middle.
  • Then quarter each half and sew seams so that you have 8 ‘channels’.
  • Measure the finished inside of the buckwheat heating pad and make note of those measurements. You will cut 3 pieces of cover fabric:
  • For the width of all of your cover fabric pieces, cut your fabric the width of the pillow plus 1”Cut one piece of cover fabric the length of your pillow plus 1” (Piece A)Cut one piece of cover fabric 75% of the length of your pillow (Piece B)Cut one piece of cover fabric 40% of the length of your pillow (Piece C)
  • Turn over and hem one end (not a side) of each of the 2 shorter cover pieces
  • With the right sides together, sew the 3 unfinished sides of Piece B to Piece A.
  • Then attach the unfinished sides of Piece C to the other end of Piece A.
  • Turn cover right side out and stuff with buckwheat filled pillow.

Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Lynn @ Nourish and Nestle

• Debra

Do you think I could use crushed walnut shells? Bought them for some project and have never used. Also would rice work.

• Sally Drilling

What directions do you give for heating in microwave? Minutes on high?

• Gail

I made these years ago. Ordered buckwheat hulls and lavender from an organic place. I did not realize i was going to get a feed sack full of buckwheat. I made lots of pillows that year.

• JoLene Krawczak

Excellent tutorial, thanks. I really like the channels and haven't seen that before.