Exterior Home Makeover

$4500
2 Weeks
Advanced

Given the fact our house was built in 1989 and everything was original it was time for a change. After a little browsing and bouncing ideas and designs I decided to tackle this makeover on my own.

Step 1 The beginning

What we began with was your average builder grade one. The kind were the builder offered 3 styles and everything tends to look the same. This just wasn’t our style and we knew that going into our purchase 2 short years ago.

Step 2 Columns

After removing the railings I took the opportunity to case in the post for a bulkier craftsman style. I used 4 1x8 to case in each side then using a 1x4 I cut for top and bottom design.

Step 3 All complete

That was 4 columns in total all cased in and looking way better already. LAN is to leave the porch without railings for a more open look.

Step 3 Shutters

Next was removing the shutters. I removed and labeled each set and used them to measure length to build new. Using a 1x4 I assembled a frame and backed using a 1x12. This created a very simple yet unique look.

Step 4 Changing out some siding

You can see here I have sprayed the gutters and overhangs black. I did this using an aluminum etching spray paint. Also here I removed the siding and began to apply a nice detail of cedar shingles. These are applied 1 layer at a time overlapping each seam.

Step 5 Section complete

With the cedar shingles complete I was pretty excited with the look it created.

Step 6 The peak

With the shingles complete I decided to take it a step further with a little farmhouse detail high in the peak. Using 2x6 I created this detail and stained it before securing under the overhang.

Step 7 Admire progress

With each step standing back at the curb provides an awesome excitement. Here you can see I completed the painting of gutters and overhangs on the lower level as well as the porch ceiling.

Step 8 Siding removal

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Removing the remaining aluminum siding is actually fairly easy especially if you aren’t worried about saving it. Using a pry bar remove each nail and simply slide down to unlock each piece. Continue this until all pieces are removed.

Step 9 Clean and prep

With siding all removed check house side for any additional nails or anything that may need removed.

Step 10 Board and Batton

With the surface cleaned I proceeded to build my own board and batton. Using 1x12 pine I nailed each piece leaving about a 3/4 gap between. This allows for expansion and contraction of wood in different weather conditions. This gap will be covered using a 1x2 strip.

Step 11 Siding complete

With the board and batton complete it was time to prep for paint. Every seam was caulked for sealing purposes to ensure it was all water tight.

Step 12 Paint

Decided to go bold and paint the board and batton black this really made the cedar shingles pop with the natural wood tones.

Step 13 Remaining Paint

Additional siding was painted using sherwin Williams emerald bright white. I used my airless sprayer to complete this task it made it a breeze and coated with one coat.

Step 14 Limewash

The brick needed a change as well. This started the process of whitewashing. Using a limewash I painted the brick in small sections. This allowed me to go in with a damp sponge and expose the brick in certain areas. Also known as the wife standing back telling me where to wipe haha. Let’s all appreciate the team effort.

Step 15 Staining

Brick is now complete so staining columns and hanging shutters was a must. And I must say to stand back and admire this view was making me pretty happy.

Step 16 Final step

for the final piece of the puzzle I prepped and sprayed the garage doors using the same black used on the board and batton up top. This tied everything together. Once again take that step back to the curb and really admire the transformation.

15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?

• Giselle

This may sound like a dumb question but you said you sprayed your gutters. Did you take them down and if not, how did you not get overspray on everything? I love the black!!

• Becky W

Since you had vinyl siding up above, I'm assuming you had it on the lower sections too. Did you paint the vinyl? Any special prep for the vinyl? Will that last?

• Mike

I had aluminum existing so all it took was a good pressure wash and cleaning and I painted with an exterior enamel sherwin Williams emerald awesome coverage

• SawHorse Design Build

I did not see a weather resistant barrier such as housewrap or felt paper installed. Which one did you end up using?

• Kathleen Walker

Beautiful, great job, you really worked hard. Now you can appreciate all your hard work every time you drive up your driveway. I also love your pond.

• Rhonda

Phenomenal! You did a great job and it is beautiful.