Easy Leaded or Stained Glass Windows With Metal Tape!

$30

We are cheering up a sad window three ways. This is Part One! We made this leaded glass effect with no glass cutting or soldering. We used a special metal tape. See the full length video and enter our contest for a free roll of this tape here.

Watch the longer video to enter our contest for free stained glass tape!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

To make this project, you will need a pattern and determine if you will put the lead on the inside or outside of your house. If you can't reach a window, you can do this project on separate glass in a frame and mount it inside a window. (We'll show you how in a future project  ).

Enter our contest for a free roll of this metal tape, no purchase necessary

Contest rules are posted on our Stephie McCarthy YouTube video. The link is above. The contest runs through September 2020 with the winner announced early October 2020.

Pebeo's 'Vitrail' Tape (vitrail is French for stained glass) is capable of much more elaborate designs than our simple window — and we initially thought we would try a bevelled-glass effect with a clear paint. We ended up loving the simplicity and leaving our project at the stage shown above. Plain lead and glass. Beautiful!

We were clumsy with the tape for the first ten minutes, but the results were so rewarding we soon picked up speed.

This was the poor, sad window before we found three ways to make it more cheerful! This post is how we accomplished the lead glass effect, Part One.

If you've been following our stone porch restoration, you may recognize the sad window on the back wall with crusty air conditioner that took almost two hours to remove.

Measure Carefully, then Make a Pattern

It took longer to make our patterns than it did to apply the tape! We put paper on the window, allowing for caulk around the edge, then took that paper to our desk for measuring and designing on the computer. You can also make designs on good graph paper. We've put a link to a transparent graph paper in the supplies section.

The tape is made to be cut in half for 1/4" and 1/8" strips (approximately). We used both widths in our design.

Cut the tape with scissors. It will curl a lot as you cut. We cut very carefully and slowly.

Straighten the tape before measuring and cutting lengths needed. We used a ruler to measure our design pieces.

The tape backing was difficult to remove. We pricked it with the blade of a craft knife to get it started. After measuring a strip, remove the backing and place it on your design.

Place the lead strip on the glass, repositioning as necessary, then burnish with the tool provided until the tape sticks. You can remove the tape if necessary too. Be sure the surface is super clean so that the tape will stick well. We scrubbed the vintage glass top pane with toothpaste before this project!

You will not need to cut miters unless you wish, because the tape looks good where it overlaps and intersects. The lead flattens and blends as you burnish pieces together. For this reason, it is also good to continue your tape so that it goes under a border.

It was such a lot of fun removing the pattern and looking through the window for the first time. We added a border afterward, leaving room for a bead of caulk next to the frame.

Parts Two and Three are Next, Don't Miss Them!

We're cheering this sad window TWO MORE WAYS and can't wait for you to see the results. The brackets may give you a clue. Follow us here on Hometalk so you don't miss the follow ups, AND, for more photos of this project and additional information, click here.

The longer video link and contest information is at the top! Best of luck!

Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Stephie McCarthy

• Bek

I'm a renter. I'd LOVE to do this with my back door and sidelight, but...is it removable?

• Bek

Thanks, Susan! I don't mind a bit of scraping at all.

• Sheilah Perry-rosales

Word of caution.If this is true lead shouldn't you wear gloves?

• Stephie McCarthy

No, you can't work with the adhesive side of the tape while wearing gloves. What I've read is that you wash your hands after using, and don't eat while using it, of course. I checked my hands constantly and saw no sign of the lead coming off on my fingertips. I did wipe them off frequently with baby wipes, just in case lead came off onto them in invisible amounts. -- Stephie

• Kay

I cannot find I cannot find the link for the video on YouTube