Repurposed Antique Table (DIY Desk)

$50

Do you have an old table that you just can't part with? Or maybe one that you found on Facebook Marketplace that you really don't need? I find myself facing the latter predicament quite often - swooning over FB Marketplace items that I just don't have the place for, particularly an antique table I recently came across. That was a problem UNTIL I learned that I would be working from home at least part time this school year and decided to create a little office space for myself. Better than getting an office space was finding a home for this antique table!

I didn't have much space to work with, which is why this table was perfect! My plan - use half of this table (yes, literally separate it down the middle) and attach it to the wall to create my desk. The folding side created the opportunity for me to expand my workspace when using the desk or leave it down and let the table function as more of a console table.

Paint

I used a paint sample from Lowe's mixed with BB Frosch to give the table a beautiful black color. Chalk paint will work as well! I used a clear satin polyurethane on top of the paint to protect the surface.

Separate the table

Depending on the type of table you have, this step will vary. You may need to literally cut the table in half (maybe with a circular saw) or you may get lucky and be able to to unscrew a couple bolts like I did here. The two halves of the table separated to create room for leaves in the middle, which allowed me to pull it apart and find the easiest way to permanently separated the two halves.

Measure and cut 1x3

I used a 1x3 to attach my table to the wall but decided it would be easiest to attach this piece to the table first (if I had attached it to the wall first the placement would have had to be PERFECT in order to get the table to sit right on it).

Attach 1x3 to the table

I used wood glue, wood clamps, and my nail gun to attach the 1x3 to the table. I chose to put three nails in the top of the table to secure the 1x3. Because this side sits close to the wall, you are barely able to see these nail holes.

Attach 1x3 to the wall

I positioned the table against the wall so that the feet were flat on the ground and the 1x3 was flush against the wall. I climbed under the table and used 2in screws to secure the 1x3 to the wall (after having previously marked the studs).

Ta-da! Now I have an awesome little workspace that just needs a chair. When I'm not using it as a desk, I fold down the side of the table and put some frames on it so that it functions as a console table.

*The cost for this project will vary based on how you acquire the table you'll use.

**The time for this project accounts for letting paint dry before you can attach the table to the wall.

Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:

• Nancy
    Nancy

you cut that beautiful antique table it half, devaluing it completely? making it junk when you grew tired of it? you should have left it intact. it would have done the same job but retained its value or increased in value.

• Bonnie
      Bonnie

I have a large round oak table I had thought about doing this very thing with. Love your project

• Lynn Davila Santos
    Lynn Davila Santos

One mans junk, is another mans treasure. As long as it makes you happy, that’s all that matters.

• Christine Carriere Beatty
    Christine Carriere Beatty

I did this a few months ago. Halved the table ( not a drop leaf but opened in center for leaf) , painted it white and painted watermelon slices around edge. Added lime green gingham skirt. It is in my laundry room and serves as a private place underneath for my cat’s litter box. Laundry has watermelon theme. Also added shelves over the desk to make laundry/pantry space