Making a Face Covering for Children or a Small Face Using Leggings

$0

Most face masks in stores are too large for the children’s faces and I also have quite A narrow face and the standard face masks are quite large on my face. I was clearing out my daughters old clothes and thought I’d would try something with her old leggings that were too well worn to send to charity. I thought that the stretchy fabric would be quite good to keep in place over our faces so got crafty

All you need is a pair of old leggings and a pair of scissors. There is no seeing involved at all

Start by cutting from the ankle up. I didn’t measure exactly what the distance was. I just roughly thought what the width would be from nose to chin

You then want to cut up the inside seem

This left me with a rectangular shape of material (I did neaten up the ages after trimming)

I then folded the fabric in half ready to cut slots in it

All you will need is scissors to make these cuts down the fold

I cut one side at a time. I’d suggest about 1cm from the edge. )The first one I did I came in about 1 inch from the side and it was far too much)

I did this on both sides

That leaves you with something that looks like this

You then take the face covering and place across your face placing yourself ears into the holes. I kept the overlocked end at the top covering my nose as it keeps it tighter to the face

Good on the kids faces too (this was the first one I attempted and cut too far from the end)

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Quick step by step video. This was the first attempt where I cut it too far from the sides but you get the idea (and I’m not a pro videographer so I know it’s not the best but I tried)

I am also aware this is just a face covering not a medical mask. There is no filter. You could easily add a filter to this though if you wanted to

Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper

• Heather Ruiz
    Heather Ruiz

Thanks for sharing. I never thought about this type of material. Its been really difficult to find masks that fit. I have really small ears😑 so childrens masks too small adult size too big. Ty

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Unless you serge the edges or bind them with stretchy binding, all those raw edges cut against the grain on knit fabric are going to fray and disintegrate in no time at all, and will be unlikely to retain their shape after being laundered.