Old Lamp Shines Again!

$2

I bought a box of odds and ends at auction and when I got it home I noticed there was a little touch lamp in the box. It was old and tarnished and when I tapped my fingernail on the shade it sounded like plastic. It looked like maybe the “stained glass” might be stickers. But I had been looking for a little touch lamp for my sofa table…and this one worked perfectly for size and functionality…so I thought maybe I could jazz it up?

Tired old lamp

The first thing I did was give it a good cleaning with soapy water and then take it all apart. This was easy enough – I just had to remove a few screws.

Cleaned and dis-assembled

As I was cleaning the shade, it started to really shine and sound/feel more like glass than plastic! So I cleaned the shade a second time with rubbing alcohol. And once all the years of dirt and grime were washed away, I was very delighted to realize the shade was glass after all!!

It's actually glass!

The next step was to paint the lamp. I placed the cord inside a baggie and used an elastic band to keep it in place.

Covering the cord for painting

Then I folded up a paper towel to push down into the light socket, to protect it from paint over-spray.

Protecting the socket

Then I painted everything, except the glass panels, with flat black spray paint. I was really hoping the “touch lamp feature” would still work after it was painted. And it did!

Flat black

Then I reassembled everything and brought it to its final destination – my sofa table. 

I’m so happy with the way this project turned out. It was so quick and easy and the cost was next to nothing.  It was definitely a reminder that sometimes a little effort goes a long way.  

30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!