DIY Wood Shutters

$20

I wanted something cute to put by our TV and I kept going back and forth on wanting arches or shutters. I decided to build some DIY shutters and see if I liked it since it wouldn't cost me a lot because I have so much wood in my barn. I would prefer to build my own projects rather than buy them because it is fun for me and also I know how good of quality it is going to be.

Materials needed for the projects

You will need:

4 1x3x8 boards

stain

wood glue

kreg jig pocket hole system

Brad nail gun

Once I gathered all of our materials I cut, sanded and stained all of the boards.

Cust list:

8 1x3 boards cut at 36 inches long

4 1x3 boards cut at 10 inches long

You will need 4 1x3's and 2 1x3's for each shutter that's why I laid them on the board like this for you to get a visual of what it would look like.

Drilling in the pocket holes

Once I got all the boards cut, sanded and stained it was time to drill the pocket holes in. Some times I will drill the pocket holes in before I sand and stain, it doesn't really make to much of a difference in my opinion since its on the back and nobody will see it.

I used 1 1/4 in pocket hole screws and drilled 3/4 in holes. As you can see in the photo that I put them back and forth to make sure its a sturdy hold. Before I screwed in the pocket holes I made sure to put gorilla wood glue in between the boards to give it an even stronger hold.

Last few steps

After I cut all the pocket holes and assembled the two shutters together I then flipped them over to the front side and used my brad nail gun to add the front 1x3 pieces that I cut at 10 inches. I used 1 1/4 inch brad nails. I added them all 3 inches from the tops and bottoms of each shutter and added some gorilla wood glue before I nailed them down to ensure a sturdy hold.

I then took my sander and sanded all the edges to give it more of a rust look!

I also added some hooks to the back so that I could hang them on the wall. I used the hooks that hold 20 lbs just to ensure that they wouldn't fall.

Final product

Here you will see my shutter hanging on the wall next to me TV. I added these cute olive baskets that I found on amazon and added in some floral picks. I hung them on with sticky hooks so that way I didn't have to put any holes in the middle of the boards and I can change it up if I wanted to add something different. I do love that I can change out the floral for each holiday!

These put the perfect touch next to our TV and to our home!

• Wood  (home depot)
  • Stain  (home depot)
  • Pocket hole screws  (home depot)

20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas