Spooky Bats !

$1

It’s September in just a few days which means I’m digging out my fall/October decor. I always combine spooky with fall to enjoy the best of both worlds until November and this year I decided those cute bats we saw all over our feeds last year were definitely going to make an appearance in my home this year.

If you’re rolling your eyes because you can buy a pack of these bats for $10, that’s totally fine, you do you! This is for the penny pinching crafters or those curing the ”I’m bored” cries, I made 40 bats for 75cents and it only took me 1 hour whilst idly watching greys anatomy.

I only used half of the cardstock so in reality you would get approx 80 bats for 75cents!

What you Need

• Scissors
  • bat template in 3 different sizes (I just googled bat template, there are many different shapes)
  • glue dots or double sided tape
  • Black cardstock (mine is 22x28 from Dollar General on sale at 75cents)
  • pencil for drawing around templates

Cut out your bat templates

Make sure to get the points all nice and sharp for detail.

Trace your bats

Its a game of Tetris to place your templates on your cardstock, drawing around them as you go. I preferred not to double the card over because I wanted to make sure each bat was cut nice and clean.

I only used half of the cardstock, and produced 40 bats; 10 large, 15 medium, 15 small.

Cutting and shaping

Take your time to cut your bats out then using a ruler or credit card you’re going to want to fold the wings at various points to give the bats some shape.

• small: simply fold in half
  • medium and large: fold in half, then fold each wing line as shown with pencil marks below

Medium and large folds

Fold in half towards you, then use the wing points to guide your next folds. The 1st wing point closest the the body on each side should be folded towards you.

The 2nd and 3rd wing points should be folded away from you.

Adhering to the wall

I had some sticky dots in my craft box, but double sided tape works just as good, just do an initial wall test to make sure what you use won’t damage your paint.

Vary the sizes

Hide some in vase decor for added effect!

Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning

• Redcatcec

Any suggestions for doig this project on the outside of the house? Would like to use plastic and they will be attached to vinyl siding. Nice project.

• Cheryl

I was thinking I’d like to do that very same thing! There’s bound to be some plastic vinyl sheets. We have these folders that are a solid color on the back and the front is clear. They’re for protecting and organizing important papers. They can be bought at Staples but I think they would be pricey. Anyway, that’s my first thought. Let me know if you find something.

• Suzie

Wonderful idea - tho I'll be using blu-tak or something similar, I don't get on well with glue dots :-)

• Linda Brown

What about 2liter soda bottles. You might get 2 bats out of a bottle. Spray paint them black after you bend them.