Inexpensive Curtain Hack

$12

Window treatments do not not have to be expensive! I'm going to show you how inexpensive it can be to add cozy texture to your windows.

For this project I used a tension rod (size and cost is dependent on the width of your window), cafe rod clips and flour sack towels. The first thing you'll need to do is remove your supplies from the packaging. On a flat surface extend your tension rod to the width of your window and lay out your flour sack towels. By doing this you can determine how many cafe rod clips you will need to use.

For the width of my windows five cafe rod clips for each flour sack cloth worked well. You may need more or less depending on the look your going for and the width of your window. Using less cafe rod clips will cause more of a draping effect, while using more cafe rod clips will create more pleats.

At this point, if you haven't done so already, you will want to determine the height in which your tension rod will be secured. This way you can determine the length the flour sack towel will need to be. I folded over the top half of the towel to get the length I desired. This created another layer of cozy texture. It is up to you to decide which direction you'd like the fold to face. While I chose to place my fold inward towards the window, many choose to place it outward, away from the window.

Now you will secure your flour sack towels to the cafe rod clips. I love how easy these are to use. They simply squeeze open and shut. There are several different colors and styles of cafe rod clips. I chose this style based on the fact that it matched the tension rod I chose. When all of your clips are secured you're ready to slide them on your tension rod and secure your tension rod to the window. Another great thing I love about this inexpensive project is that it does not cause damage to your walls so long as you use your tension rod as instructed.

I am obsessed with this look and love how inexpensive and simple it was to do. Using this hack leaves you with endless inexpensive curtain opportunities. Tea towels and cloth napkins are great substitutions for flour sack towels if you'd like to add more color or pattern. Get creative! I hope you've enjoyed this hack and feel confident to try it on your own.

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas

• Adrienne

What if you want floor to ceiling panels? Any tips on a hack for this scale?

• Adrienne

My son wanted his room pitch black (teenagers) so rather than buy blackout curtains, I bought a black moving blanket (about $12 at Home Depot) and it worked well

• Nancy LaFleur

Where do you buy the flour sack towels?

• Nancy LaFleur

Where do you buy the flour sack towels?

• MsAllis882

I think this is a super cute idea! Sticking with white can create a crisp & clean look, but I am going to be updating my kitchen with lemon yellow and a slightly dark blue for an accent. I think the white would look nice with the ensemble, but to step it up a notch I think I will take my flour sacks and dye them yellow since I already have white faux wood blinds hanging. If I had a taller window to cover you could go with a quilt look or you could use old sheets. An additional idea for the rod & hangers would be to use a shower curtain rod and shower curtain hangers. I would also suggest that you could give the hangers a little flair by adding beads if they aren't already decorated. I absolutely love repurposing apposed to just throwing away!

• Charise.

Sounds like you've got a lot of available time on your hands; I'd simply buy a piece of fabric in color of my choice. My DIY'g ends when I realize that the "wheel" needs no reinventing.

• Thank you Uma.

Charise, we all have different DIY capabilities and styles. As noted in my post, there are so many different ways you can modify this hack to make it your own. I have a variety of DIYs posted, some less creative than others. I enjoy the simplicity of this particular project. Thanks for your comment.