Thrifted Vase Gets a Modern Look

$15

Have you seen the trend of the dirt vase? It's when you rub wet dirt over a vase or pot. It's such a pretty look. I've done them before, in black. But this time, I did a white version. I can't get enough of them. And with Fall on it's way, I'm excited to make even more.

Before
Wipe your vase off

Before you start, prep your vase by giving it a good wipe. This will allow the spray paint to stick better. But don't worry to much, because you're going to get it dirty again real soon.

Wet Dirt
Next, time to make mud

For this step, I used a plant tray to gather dirt. My kids had fun finding dirt and scooping it into this tray. The neighbours might have thought we were a bit too old to play in the mud, but it was fun. After gathering dirt, add some water to it. Just enough to make it wet and slightly runny.

Time to Spray
Spray paint your vase

I used Rustoleum Ivory Bisque. Spray the vase evenly around. I gave it 2 coats. I didn't spray the base, as you won't be seeing it.

2 coats of spray
Leave it to dry

I let it dry for about 15 minutes. Just feel it before you go onto the next step, if it's still tacky, wait longer. Mine was outside on a hot summer day, so it dried pretty quickly (about 10 minutes)

Rub the dirt on
Rub the dirt onto the vase

This part was fun, I know this because I did this before. So, I invited my daughter to do the honours this time and she loved this step. My suggestion is to rub the dirt in a back and forth horizontal motion. This gives the vase a continuous look all around.

When it's all done, let it dry for about 20 minutes.

Soft cloth
Time to wipe

The last step is to wipe off the dirt. I used an old dish rag. I tried to use a damp one at first, but it was taking off yoo much of the dirt. So, I switched to a dry cloth instead which worked fine. I also used the same horizontal back and forth motion to take off the dirt. You can leave on as much dirt as you prefer. You can spray a sealer on it too if you want. But I prefer the old chippy "found " look, so I didn't do that step.

Voila!
Style it up

I'm so in love with the look of the white ones. I ended up making another one, seen in the next picture, on the table next to my tall one.

DIY DIRT VASE
Styled up

They look great styled up, you can add greenery in them too like the picture below. I'm really hoping to try this on an extra large floor vase, if I ever find one while thrifting.

20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows

• Jennifer
    Jennifer

Did you wipe off almost all the dirt? Any spray to seal it? Looks fabulous!!!

• TANGLEWOOD HOMES
      TANGLEWOOD HOMES

I wiped off most the dirt, and just tried to achieve the look of a found piece. I've done 6 of these, even on lamps, and eaxh one is different

• Joannie Sygnet
    Joannie Sygnet

Does the dirt continue to bump/runoff if handled?

• TANGLEWOOD HOMES
      TANGLEWOOD HOMES

good question, it didn't for any of my 6 that i did. But when i clean them, I use a dry soft cloth, never a wet one

• Ruby77
    Ruby77

Looks beautiful all styled with the other pieces. I have some red vases I've never used just sitting in the garage waiting for a project like this. Thanks for sharing!

• Patricia
    Patricia

What a fantastic 'makeover'!!!