I Gave My Dingy Backsplash an Update in One Afternoon

$150

My backsplash was old and dingy. I wanted to give it a quick update. We will be doing a complete remodel in two years so I wanted it to be fairly simple.

I love the look of subway tile but I did not want to go through ripping out the old backsplash, repairing drywall, and tiling. I decided to try peel and stick tiles instead.

I prepared the backsplash by removing the switch and outlet plates and cleaning the backsplash with soap and water. I wanted a nice clean surface for the tiles to stick to.

I started in the corner. I measured and cut the first piece.

Then I removed the backing and smoothed it into place. Be sure to press firmly to get all the air bubbles out!

I lined up the next tile. They fit together very simply.

I competed the first row pretty quickly!

Then I prepped for the top row. I measured to see how much to trim the tiles.

Then I trimmed the tiles. Be sure that you pay attention to the pattern and line the second row up accordingly.

I completed this row just like the first.

I started the second wall in the same corner. I lined up the tile and made sure I was following the pattern. I repeated the same process as the first wall.

Finally, after the tiles were set, I caulked the seem between the backsplash and counter.

I ran a bead and smoothed with my finger. I also did the gap around my window and cabinet brackets for a finished look.

I love the way it turned out! It was a whole new look in one afternoon's time!

It completely updated the look of our kitchen!

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper

• Mary Wright
    Mary Wright

How do you finish off an end that not in a corner?

• Michelle Corigliano
      Michelle Corigliano

This question was not answered, what she’s asking is how does it look at the end where there’s not a corner and it do you need to trim it with something? else does it look funny?

• Cathy Olds
    Cathy Olds

Sujestions on covering ceramic tile for kitchen counter makeover

• Sue
    Sue

Why peel and stick tiles?!? They are a HUGE FIRE HAZARD! Your kitchen would fail a fire safety inspection.

A former landlord did that to one of the apartments. Our downstairs neighbour found out just how quickly they melt and catch fire. She was frying chicken when the back splash started to curl, wrinkle and melt. Not a safe option.

• Thanks Bry!

• Velma in Florida
    Velma in Florida

Think i woild have used grey caulking to match the color of the grout lines in the brick backsplash. I want to use these alsoo because if you use tile if yo want to change it later you al.ost alway have to replace the drywall too. There's just no easy way to get the tile off. Good job.