Small Wood Tray

$30

I have been on the hunt for a cute tray to use as a bed tray, I love all the bone in-lay looking pieces out there, but I can't bring myself to spend the money on those pieces.

I tend to have a lot of scrap wood around the house, due to all the projects I tackle. So one day I had the idea to create my own tray out of the wood I had around the house and some inexpensive "Jenga" like pieces from the dollar store.

I gathered the following materials;

• A piece of 3/4" plywood
  • 2 pieces of 1x3 pine
  • 2 Cabinet pulls
  • 5 boxes of "Jenga" pieces from the Dollar store
  • Two different color spray paint

Once I had all my supplies, I took the 3/4" plywood upstairs as well as the dollar store Jenga pieces and laid them out on the board. This gave me an idea of how the pieces laid out as well as if my board needed to be cut down to accommodate the pieces.

My needed to be cut down, as I would rather cut the board than the little wood pieces.

Now that I knew how many pieces it was going to take to fit on the board, I separated out the pieces between light and dark and laid them flat to spray paint them

Even though the pieces come two different colors, the light and dark tan just didn't fit with my home, so I painted them white and light blue.

Now that I had the base cut, the number of pieces I was going to need figured out. I needed to cut the sides for my tray.

All I did was measure the size of the 3/4" plywood, this gave me the width and length and I just figured out which boards would be on either side.

Since I already had the 1x4 boards I just used my table saw to rip them down to the width I used. But the 1x3 boards I had listed in the materials would be perfect.

Once I had everything cut, I painted the tray base white, once the tray was dry I attached the handles and then glued all the Jenga pieces onto the board.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Now that all the pieces were glued on the tray was done and I was so excited for how it turned!

15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters

• Jen Santiago Nabus

how did you attached the 1x3 boards to the ply wood? did you just glue it?

• Ashley

Oh you are so right, I forgot to mention that! I hot glued them down!